Starting Asia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Moyes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I joined HMEM quite a while ago after I had decided to build a working steam loco. My background is in carpentry and my workshop is equipped for woodwork and making stuff for dolls houses. However, now it's engineering and I have been working the workshop up, learning some stuff and deciding what to build.
I am starting on a set of Reeves (UK) plans for the Les Saxby design of a five inch gauge version of Asia. I bought these drawings about five months ago. This locomotive was first built in 1873, designed by William Martley of the London, Chathams and Dover Railway Company and did over a million miles before withdrawal from service. This five inch gauge miniature design won some prizes and so I have reasonable expectations that, if built properly, it should give good service on our Hutt Valley Model Engineering Society track. In fact it was one of my fellow members who pointed me at HMEM.
I have a question that someone may be able to answer. I am starting on the tender for the loco and the body of the tender is made of twenty gauge brass plate riveted to twenty gauge brass angle to form the water tanks and coal bunker. The rivets called for are 3/64 brass snap head rivets.
What is the best way of applying this type of rivet generally and in particular in the restricted space which will be formed between the tender internal partitions?
Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me on this.
Peter Moyes

Latest posts

Back