Start of my Horizontal Mill Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimN

Reaction score
Being new to using a mill and lathe, I bought a casting kit to start with. Well after making a mistake on one of the castings right off, decided to learn more about machining by making parts from bar stock. That way as I make a mistake can just use more bar stock to redo it. I must say though, one call to PMR about replacing the casting I ruined, and it was in the mail to me same day. Nice customer service.

There really is no plans for this engine, roughly followed one from Rudy Kouhoupt's book but changed somethings more to my liking. Of course the pile of "not good enough" parts seem to be larger than the pile of parts to use but am learning.

Anyway this is as far as I have gotten so far, and happy with what I have done and learned. Thanks for all those who post here as it helps to see what and how others do things.

horiz1-1.jpg

JimN
looking very nice Thm: great finish on the parts . only one thing could do with more th_wwp :big:

Regards Rob

Oh boy, that is really nice work... gonna be one pretty engine!

Chuck

RobWilson said:
JimN
looking very nice Thm: great finish on the parts . only one thing could do with more th_wwp :big:

Regards Rob

Finish seems to be a problem for me, one time I cut something the finish is great and only needs little buffing, next time the tool marks are more noticable and requires time with a very fine file to clean up. I believe it has to do with how much a bite I take, or maybe the speed of moving the end mill. Any advice is more than welcome, thanks

I worked at getting the mainshaft supports done. Since the supports are in aluminum I put in brass bushings. In retrospect I should have made the bushing one pieace instead of two, it would have been easier.

This is all the parts finished and cleaned up, will do more cleaning on them after its together and runs.
mainshaft1.jpg

Here it is all together and start of my main shaft on. Guess it might be time to try and get the crankshaft finished now.
mainshaft2.jpg

WOW. You haven't made alot of posts, but you have made alot of progress with this build.

I keep getting bogged down with details and distracted too often. I bow to you sir! You know how to stay on track and get on with it. The parts look great, can't wait to see it running Jim.

Kermit

P.S. As for any advice I could give about finish, its not worth much. I'm a newbie with no previous machining experience. I would suggest that anytime you are ready to mill recheck the tightness of the gibs by twisting on your set up. Make sure that puppy is nice and tight and kinda hard to move. Seems I get the best surface finish when I have the gibs set pretty tight. I'm milling in the lathe right now so... its worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet. :p

on the finishing issue if you get your part close to size and take the last couple thou off climb milling the finish is much more uniform

Nice Jim!

Sounds like we have something in common when in comes to experience...but you seem to be progressing faster than me.

I'm still working on finishing...but I hesitate to say it for fear that it comes across as a difficult thing to achieve and puts anyone off from this hobby.

All I can say is...it's very true what they say...part of it is developing a feel and that can only come from keeping at it. I've been making progress (at least I think I am) and know that you will too.

Nice engine.

zeeprogrammer said:
Sounds like we have something in common when in comes to experience...
I'm still working on finishing...but I hesitate to say it for fear that it comes across as a difficult thing to achieve and puts anyone off from this hobby.

All I can say is...it's very true what they say...part of it is developing a feel and that can only come from keeping at it. I've been making progress (at least I think I am) and know that you will too.

You are right, doing anything well means having the touch, and the know how. The touch comes from doing many times. For me just means more time with a file to clean up parts, just good I am not paid be the parts finished. LOL

Well more work done on my engine, better said more work done again since I made a big mistake on the first crankshaft. One of those "well that was a stupid thing to do" kind which had nothing to do with machining.

I had to make up new counter throws, and ready new shafts to silver solder together,,,,again....
horiz3.jpg

Once the shafts where silver soldered I chucked them on the lathe to clean up the outside, the inside was cleaned up after cutting the RIGHT shaft out of the center. Then the shaft was installed and after checking alignment with the slider it was put on. Still have more bolts to tap and install on it.
horiz5.jpg

Now to finish the cylinder head, then ready to mount the cylinder on the base. The base is 1/2 aluminum, I was picking up something for a friend at a place they make truck trailers. They had small pieces of this aluminum laying around on the floor by one of the trailers. I asked about it, and the foreman gave me half dozen pieces of it. So used one for the base of this engine.

JimN

the inside was cleaned up after cutting the RIGHT shaft out of the center

Ouch! Bet the shop cat learned some new words when you discovered that one.

If it makes you feel any better, I've come close to doing that myself a few times.

I finished the engine, test ran it on air and it runs quite smooth. Only the eccentric was outside the bearing support which required the eccentric rod to be bent to pick up the slider valve rod. I decided that didn't look good so cut out another base and remounted the bearings further apart so the eccentric could be in-line with the steam box.
horiz3-1.jpg

horiz4-1.jpg

Learned alot from building this engine, next one will be from plans, just not sure which since I seem to have acquired plans for several engines in my size and skill range.

JimN

JimN,
Very nice. Thanks for sharing the build. Thm:
Gail in NM

Back