Square Collets?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpleknif

Reaction score
Anyone here know where I can get ER 32 square collets. All I can find is 5c.

Thanks. :wall:

I've never heard of square ER collets. I don't think the design lends itself to gripping squares. Consider making a pot chuck or split collet of sorts to fit a round collet you have.

Greg

If you find any let us know, would be really handy as I don't use 5c collets either.

I have only seen er collets in round.

3-C collects are available in round hex and square. 3-C is the size you need for many hobby size lathe like the south bend ,atlas , import 7x etc anything with a 3 MT taper head stock. you do need a MT3 to 3c adaptor to use them. as well as a draw bar for your lathe. IIRC sell universal draw bars that are made long then cut to length for a particular lathe.
the 3_c system is used on small tool room lathes. as the collets tend to be accurate.

http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=3csq
Tin

Guess I'll use my 4 jaw. Gettin' lazy in my old age. Thanks anyway. ;)

Most ER32, maybe all, have 8 full depth slots. Square stock can be gripped on the corners as losg as you position the corners so they do not lie on the through slots. The positioning accuracy is dependent on how uniform the corners on the are. I most cases it is pretty good and quite satisfactory for most applications. Grip is not quite as rigid as a square collet, but again it's quite adequate for most turning operations. Even with square collets accuracy is dependent of the condition of the stock.

With a 20mm max diameter on ER32 you can chuck up to 14mm square stock (0.55 inch).

Gail in NM

Pretty sure my ER32 Collets have 12 slots, 6 from the front and 6 from the back. Could be ok for holding hex stock but not sure on square?

It works out fine on 12 slot collets also. Actually in both 8 and 12 slot collets the corners of the square should not line up exactly between the front slots for best results, but I doubt you could tell any difference in practice. The grip on the front is the most important for best support.
Gail in NM

That was gonna be my next option. Seeing if my round ones will hold square stock. Building a Liney 5 and I need to turn 1/8" square brass. Will probably work.
Thanks !

Well, I finally got my straight collet holder so I decided to try it out. Yes,1/8" and 1/2" square stock can be held in standard collets. This is a good thing since my 4 jaw wont get down that small.

Latest posts

Back