square being square

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itowbig

Reaction score
how do check to see if your square is well square?.
i was setting up my vice on the mill and found that the table is not square to the spindle. in other words when i move the table x i think it has a gap on one end compared to the other end. i thought my square was out but its the table on the mill.
witch brings one more ? how do i get the dern table square to the spindle?

Sid,

Easiest is to check it against another square.

Do a geometric construction of a right angle. Easiest is to draw a line of say 5" set the dividers to say 3" and with the point on one end of the line scribe an arc that goes over the centre of the 1st line. Go to other end of the line and scribe another arc making sure it intersects the 1st arc above and below line 1. With scriber and rule draw a line where the 2 arcs intersect above and below the original line. This has done 2 things - line 1 is divided into 2 equal halves, (bisected), and the dividing line is at 90 deg to the original line. Check your square against this construct.

Rough and ready but will show up any glaring faults.

Hope this helps ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

an even easier rough and ready check is to put you square on a straight piece of material and scribe a line, now turn the square over and check it against the mark you just made.

Good one Tel :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

kvom said:
Clamp two 123 blocks together forming a 90-degree angle, then test square against the joint.

i dont have those yet ;D ( there on the order list dont tell the wife) :big: :big:

Back