spin indexer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loose nut

Reaction score
I have been thinking about picking up one of the 5C Spin indexer's with a set of collets for simple indexing on the mill, has anyone used one of these and are they useful enough to make the price worth it. Currently I use an 8" H/V rotary table (heavy too) with a chuck on it but this requires a lot of set up every time I want to machine a simple little job. Looking for an alternative.

If you are going to get a set of collets. A set of collet blocks is very handy. I use mine all the time. They come with a square block and a hex block. So you can use them to cut hex heads really easily.

Wes

I have a spin indexer, think it was 38 bucks..So its sure worth that much..But I rather use it just for rough work...that because...One time I had a rod of HSS in it and was milling it with carbide making some sort of special reamer and I found that the nose of the indexer can be forced to turn and ruin the alignment of the job...But I really just got the device to spin small parts under the surface grinder, my other method of doing that work is with a punchformer and that takes bit of time to center the workpiece using an indicator..The spin indexer shines for those quick spin jobs..
I got the 32 piece set of 5-c collets (by 32nds) but frequently find that size I need fall between. Really would be better to get set of 69 collets (by 64ths)..I wish they sold collet sets of just the 'tween' sizes for all us who didnt pop for the large set from the start....I have a lathe that stays setup to use 5 -c collets, VERY handy.

I have one, to be honest, I've used it exactly once. My collet blocks, on the other hand, get used constantly.

Cheers,

BW

With the ability to do 360 divisions, I find it a very handy tool. I fitted mine with a block bolted to the base so I can simply drop it into the milling machine vise when I need to use it.

Its major drawback for me is the fact that it can't be conveniently mounted with the spindle axis vertical. This makes it more-or-less useless for jobs like drilling bolt hole circles on cylinder heads.

Get a set of collet blocks first. As Bob mentions, they're handier than a shirt pocket.
They can be used both horizontally or vertically but are limited to 2,3,4,6,8 divisions.
Fortunately, those numbers cover a majority of the work you're likely to encounter.

For a bit more flexibility than that provided by collet blocks, consider building a divider like my super collet block.

DIVIDER.jpg

Mine allows for up to 24 divisions and the base can be easily clamped in the milling machine vise in both horizontal and vertical orientation. Given that you have a rotary table, you could drill it for any number of divisions that suits your work. Since multiple rows of indexing holes are possible, you can even have separate division circles tailored to your needs.

I made mine from the ground up. 'Take one pot of molten aluminium .....'

I like your idea there Marv - is the turret retained in the base or just held by the clamping action?

indexer.jpg

There's a clamp bolt in the base although, in light use, the clamping action of the mill vise is enough to prevent it from spinning.

Thank'ee - it might have to go on the list.

Tel ............ your gonna need a bigger shed soon with all these tools you keep building :D

CC

I keep adding bits on (to the workshop) but I'm still hard pressed to house everything - still got a big ol' power hacksaw living outside under a horse rug.

tel said:
I made mine from the ground up. 'Take one pot of molten aluminium .....'

Nice and simple. Do you have any trouble counting holes while you're indexing?

Chuck

Not unless someone interupts me.

Spin indexers are really intended for grinding. You will get frustrated if you do.

If you want to do milling look for one of the Hardinge style vertical/horizontal 24 position indexers. Like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/5C-Collet-Chuck...ryZ25297QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They come with a lever operated collet closer and have threads to screw on a chuck. I picked one up locally on craigslist for about $100.

Then I got this a couple days ago ;D

DSC03683.jpg

Picked up one of the spin indexers, $39.00 figured it wasn't to much if it turned out bad but when I got it home and tore it down for a cleaning I was surprised as to how tight it was, no play or slack when moving or rotating. Time will tell as to it's accuracy. I only need it for simple Indexing and homemade indexing plates can be mounted on it.

P.S. when I was looking around at these I found a company that sells them, a better made version I hope for over $1200.00, that's not a typo. Other than sides machined parallel and a nice paint job it looks identical to all the other cheap ones. I'm assuming there is a higher degree of accuracy in the machining to justify the cost.

I will be showing a bit further on, how a cheapo indexer can be brought out to be a more rigid and useable bit of kit, just by some simple machining operations on the mill.

Unless someone can show how to do it before me.

John

Latest posts

Back