• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Source Model nuts washers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for sources of model pattern fasteners esp. #10 washers.

Thanks
#10 IS a common size even Home Depot has that size and smaller.
There is McMaster Carr or Amazon for other sizes.

Dave

Here is my take on screws, nuts and washers for models - make your own fixings! Its not difficult. I use purchased fixings for set-ups and first assembly and replace these during the last stages of assembly.
Controversial view - maybe - but it works for me.

Looking for sources of model pattern fasteners esp. #10 washers.

Thanks

Bolt Depot (boltdepot.com): you can order as few or as many as you like. Shipping costs are reasonable and they give quantity discounts (depending on the item, you can get 100 for less than 30). I place several orders a year, either because I have a specific project that needs hardware I don't have or I need to restock: add items to the cart, then save the cart with a unique name, empty the main cart and start a new list (I usually have a number of projects in mind and have been known to forget why I ordered something).

McMaster is also a good source, and while they can be pricey, they do have items not easily found elsewhere. Again, I create orders and then save them for later to keep shipping costs down.

That said, if you are looking for a specific OD on a #10 washer, I sometimes use M5 washers as they have slightly smaller OD's.

I've gotten screws from Mcmaster, and they just aren't the same as a model screws.
These are from Godshalls on top, Mcmaster on the bottom, both 4-40 x 1".
IMG_2109.JPG
I used the mass produced ones for fitting and the good ones for final assembly.
My take on it.
Doug

I've gotten screws from Mcmaster, and they just aren't the same as a model screws.
These are from Godshalls on top, Mcmaster on the bottom, both 4-40 x 1".
View attachment 135996
I used the mass produced ones for fitting and the good ones for final assembly.
My take on it.
Doug

That is an issue: “regular” hex head machine screws (SS tap bolts are what Bolt Depot has) have relatively short heads (0.105” - 0.120” for 10-32).

Bolt Depot (boltdepot.com): you can order as few or as many as you like. Shipping costs are reasonable and they give quantity discounts (depending on the item, you can get 100 for less than 30). I place several orders a year, either because I have a specific project that needs hardware I don't have or I need to restock: add items to the cart, then save the cart with a unique name, empty the main cart and start a new list (I usually have a number of projects in mind and have been known to forget why I ordered something).micro fastness has lots of smal both metric and inch . They are about average price. Some Tim’s I just get small packs at local hardware store they usually are not the best quality . Just got a package of #10 washers they just fit 6mm shaft . They ha a burr on one side but 10 minutes work on the table with sheet of Emory paper cut the burr down. All are les than .0005 “ variance in thickness. I rinse them in alcohol and spread on paper towel to dry. I often store small fasteners in medical pill boxes or prescription plastic bottles. Just add tape and mark size on them I save platic deli containers for working assembly parts. Saves purchasing plastic containers . Many have snap covers so just close up and put tape then mak what is inside. For larger items I have a stack of plastic boxes from home store. Plastic tool boxes too . My outside shed had lawn tools. Mower tools oils gas etc. I use old plastic bowl for drills and taps I’m currently working with then put stuf away in permanent storage boxes .recycle old plastic dinnerware.

Small drawer boxes eve woed very well . Divide seemed to come loose or were glued in wrong places. I save a few select Amazon boxes for misc plastic boxes again label so you don’t have to open a bunch of boxes . I have too and front or side labels s I can find stuff easier. Still have workbench mess .
Byron

McMaster is also a good source, and while they can be pricey, they do have items not easily found elsewhere. Again, I create orders and then save them for later to keep shipping costs down.

That said, if you are looking for a specific OD on a #10 washer, I sometimes use M5 washers as they have slightly smaller OD's.

Here is my take on screws, nuts and washers for models - make your own fixings! Its not difficult. I use purchased fixings for set-ups and first assembly and replace these during the last stages of assembly.
Controversial view - maybe - but it works for me.
I guess it goes to how you want to spend your time. You could, as I have sometimes done, make your own brass and other alloys. I did it on some projects just because I wanted to, but I now only do it if I need alloys that are very expensive or unavailable. Frankly, it seems pointless to spend days making something that is easily purchased, unless making that is the part of the hobby you enjoy.
Yes, I make a lot of fasteners, but usually only if what I want is not easily obtainable at the level of quality or in the time frame I need.

I have been using American Model Engineering Supply, Inc. (americanmodeleng.com) for fasteners for years. Small quantities available, good service. Washers I usually make up myself, easy to do and come out cleaner than supplied numbers.

You always make your own bolts.

I have 10,000's of special bolts in life and not hat to do even on a engine lathe.

I new a welder how hobby was building scale engines and he made all the bolts to match the photos and drawings.

Dave

Latest posts

Back