Some small bits & pieces

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Herewith a few bits and pieces that I have made in the dim distant past:

threepieceviceit6.th.jpg

This is my version of a 3 piece vice with a mock set-up to show how it is used. The sloping sides on the clamping bits are at 10 and 9 degrees and very slightly rounded along the moving jaw length. This helps to prevent the clamping face from allowing the work to spring out of the vice. There is so much power in the clamping system that I have to put oiled paper under the fixed parts to stop them slipping on the table.

lowprofileclampsso8.th.jpg

These are some low profile clamps that I made. Copied after MiteeBite clamps.

smallpiecevicegx8.th.jpg

The last is a small swivelling vice. It swivels in two axes. The block in the vice has a small lip to stop it falling through the jaws when being mounted. The two knurled screws clamp the little vice in the required attitude.

Just had a look at the preview and the pictures seem very small compared with most. First time with a digital camera, first time posting pictures here.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

steamdave said:
Just had a look at the preview and the pictures seem very small compared with most. First time with a digital camera, first time posting pictures here.

They are a nad's small Dave ;)

Imageshack is I presume pretty much like photobucket, you should be able to upload photos to probably about 1024 x 768, for a forum like this about 640 x 480 is about the biggest you need, I tend to use around 500 for the maximum dimension, I find that means the photos are normally easy to see and don't take up too much space, an additional benefit is the guys on dial up (and there are lots) don't have to wait too long for the page to load.

Your camera will no doubt take pictures far bigger than I've described, almost all the software on the market will resize photos and your host site should have an option to upload at a particular (maximum) size, though I prefer to resize mine manually using this free little program

Pixresizer

hope this helps, and hope I haven't bored everyone to death by this stage .............. so in short, in this instance ............ yes " slightly" bigger pics ;) would be better for these old eyes ............ though mainly, due to the need to conserve bandwidth, in the future I'll probably be saying "too big" ......... get it reduced :big: ;D :big:

However if you (or any of the gang) need any help posting photo's or other files etc please just shout up, me n' the other guys are here to help.

CC

Your pictures are only 150 x 113 pixels - hence their small size. A convenient size for BBSs such as this one is 800 x 600 pixels.

If you have the original picture files as they came from your camera, there are at least two simple options. (I'm assuming that the originals are larger than 800 x 600, as is the case with most modern cameras' default settings.)

Upload them to an online storage facility such as Photoshop and they will be resized automatically.

Get a copy of either IrfanView or PIXresizer (both free) and use to resize your pictures manually before uploading to your storage facility. (I recommend IrfanView because, in addition to resizing it can do things like cropping and various forms of color and sharpness enhancement.)

Dave ............. :eek: .................. sorry mate, got carried away with the photo size thing ::)

Your photo's show some interesting bits n' bobs and I'd like a closer look, bigger pics would be good. If you need any help please email me copies of the original photo's and I'll post them for you, if you can't email me just drop me a pm for my addy.

atb

(another) Dave

Let's have another go at the pictures...

First, the 3 piece vice:
threepieceviceit6.jpg

Now the low profile clamps:
lowprofileclampsso8.jpg

And finally the small swivelling vice:
smallpiecevicegx8.jpg

Just had a look at the prieview again. The pics come out at 800 x 600, so looks like I've got the idea now. Thanks for the help CC and Marv.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Nice works...I have no idea how the low profile clamps are working...does anyone helps me?
Cheers
Paolo

I posted a little while ago in 'making eccentric clamps' thread-- the idea there is the bolt head is offset so tightening it moves the clamping part in towards the part to be clamped. Mitee Bite's work the same way.

Latest posts

Back