some new tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck foster

Reaction score
well i have spent the last week or so building some much needed tooling for my shop.
the first is a bunch of die holders for the lathe
IMG_8543.jpg

and a close up pic
IMG_8544.jpg

tonight i just about finished my tapping stand, just have to polish it up abit and it will be done
IMG_8549.jpg

now i posted this last picture to show that using a router bit on aluminum works quite well.
i just chucked the router bit in a collet in the mill and started cutting the aluminum.
IMG_8551.jpg

while iam in the tool making mood do any of you guys have some ideas as to what i should make next for my lathe or mill?

chuck

You made a holder for each thread size? Crazy! ;D

Wow! Lotta die holders. I'd like to just make one! ;D

yes i made a bunch cause i was tired of changing out the die's EVERY time i made a bolt or threaded stud ;D

and yes brian you are 100% right (as always) you can never have too many tools :big:

any more got to have tools that i should make??

chuck

Hi' My name is Tom and I am A Tool'aholich. Part of the program for folks like me is to share stuff so you can make more stuff. So I have a number of MT-2 shank reamers that fit almost nothing, the price is FREE, just pay the shipping, good if you need a MT 2 shank for something. Let me know. Tom

Nice choice of die holders, if over the top WHy not, :bow:

thanks john, i never thought about drilling the hole in the center but now you mention it, it makes perfect sense. :)

chuck

How about a chuck spider ? fun to make and useful too. A carriage stop? If and when I get bored (not vary often) and wanna make something I pull out a bedside reader, there are lots of good and handy tools in there to make. I am also a tool junkie and there is nothing better than making your own tools!!
Dave

Nice tool rack too Chuck. :bow:
Does it stretch to accommodate more tools? ;D

Bez

had some more shop time the last few days and this is what i made.

a new top for may 6" rotary table, now the top is 9" in diameter and full of 1/4-20 hole so i can clamp work to it.
IMG_8557.jpg

IMG_8558.jpg

then i made a new top slide for my old 9" south bend lathe. this top slide is about 3" longer than the original top slide and it allows me to use a rear mounted cut off tool.
the plans for this top slide are in model engineer mag. from 1967

IMG_8560.jpg

i then made the rear cut off tool holder

IMG_8564.jpg

IMG_8565.jpg

i machined keys in the bottom of the holder and they fit into slots cut into the top slide so that you just have to drop the holder on and tighten up the bolts and the holder is square to the cross slide.

IMG_8567.jpg

holder mounted on cross slide

IMG_8571.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

i was going to use the big mill at work to make the top slide but then i thought i would try to make it on my sx3 mill.
to my suprise the little sx3 did the job :eek: it chattered a bit while cutting the dove tail but other than that all was well.

i am slowly getting through my list of things to make so on with the next tooling project.............???

chuck

Damn, guy---Times must be slow in the world of automatic rivetting machines!! Either that or you've given up sleeping.---Brian

Who's been a busy little boy then Chuck? :bow:

Keep it going, because all these little jobs you are doing to your tooling will make your machining life a lot easier. Maybe not now, but over the years, they will repay you back in full, and some.

John

chuck foster said:
...then i made a new top slide for my old 9" south bend lathe. this top slide is about 3" longer than the original top slide and it allows me to use a rear mounted cut off tool. -chuck

Very nice.
- assuming it's a typical dovetail fit, did you also make a longer gib strip? I'd be interested in any details of that.
- what material did you use for the top slide?

well since i finished the top slide and cut off tool holder for my south bend lathe i thought what next?????

well as soon as i seen the video chuck fellows posted of his little turn table i knew i had to make one ;D
i hope chuck don,t mind me stealing his idea,s :hDe:

i looked around the mess i call a shop and found all the right pieces of material to make one so off i went.
the next few pictures show the 2 main parts for this build, now if i can get a few hours in tomorrow night i just might get it finished.

first is the bottom ring or indexing ring

IMG_8580.jpg

then the top plate that the work pieces get fastened to

IMG_8585.jpg

i think it will be a handy little fixture and i have chuck fellows to thank for posting the video

:bow: :big: THANK YOU CHUCK :big: :bow:

the other chuck

petertha it is a 60 degree dove tail on the south bend top slide and i made it out of just plain cold rolled steel.

i did not follow the plans exactly ::) i did not put tee slots in the top of the slide and i made the slide about 3" longer to give more room for the cut off holder.
the reason i did not put the tee slots in is because i had this same top slide set up on my other south bend and i never needed them so i thought why bother
putting them in this one.

if you are thinking of making one for yourself let me know and i will give you some of the measurements that i used.

mcostelo, small live centers are a great idea but i already have them............thanks for the idea though.

Brian you would be right about the rivet setting machine business being slow, but there is hope in the new year as we are quoting allot for January and February.

John, it is funny...........yes i have been busy but i am having fun so it does not feel like work at all...........if that makes sense :shrug:

my question for the day is to any one...............how do i build a self cleaning work shop ???

chuck

chuck foster said:
petertha it is a 60 degree dove tail on the south bend top slide and i made it out of just plain cold rolled steel.

Thanks, it was more of a general question about home made dovetails & gib strips. Its kind of hard to tell but kind of looks like you have a (new/longer) strip in there which I assume you also made?

2011-12-05_222903.jpg

Latest posts

Back