small lathe collets needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks identical to the one I have, except that mine's metric,and I paid more than twice that!, looks like a great deal!

I use 3-C collets in the South Bend it had a pretty good set of round collets with the lathe when I bought it. I recently picked up a set of 3c hex collets off an e-bay store.

I also have 3-MT collets from LMS and a E-R type set from Micromark that could be used in the mini lathe. but have only seen use in the mini mill
LMS has 3-C draw bars ,adapters and round collet sets as well.
Tin

I want to thank you for the input. It has been of real help. I popped in over at LMS and discovered they also offer what appears to be a nice 5C spindle adaptation for the mini lathe. It's a wee bit pricey at $199.00 , but with the easy availability of 5C collets and tooling, I'm actually giving it some thought. You can see it here: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3047

Steve

Steve:
That is a nice looking collet chuck. I do think it may be a bit big for a 7 x 10 . If you look at the drawing you will see it is 4 1/2 inches long plus the collet will stick out some. You will lose about 2 inches compared to a standard chuck . Put a drill chuck in the tail stock and you have about 2 1/2 inches between chuck faces now add a drill bit and I think things will start feeling a bit tight.

Now a 3 -c collet eliminates the need for the factory standard chuck and fits inside the spindle so you gain about 2 1/2 inches the 3-C has the adapter so you will gain about 2 inches.

I do think that 5-C chuck would work well on my 9" South bend or a 9 x 20.
Do your homework make your own decision .
IMHO that chuck on a 7 x 10 may feel a bit like a front end loader bucket from a Catapillar mounted on your lawn tractor. Hmmm what a picture.
Regards
Tin

Tin
I'm already running a 5 inch chuck on a 7 x 14 mini lathe. That extra bit means I seldom have any significant issues with bed space, even with the larger chuck. It's as big as you'd ever want to try to use on such a small machine, but it sure gave me a lot more functionality. This poor little lathe has been modified in so many ways that it almost doesn't qualify as a Mini Lathe anymore. I can easily face cut more diameter than the bed swing will allow me to physically chuck. It does get a little tricky making turning cuts at 6 inches, but it is "do-able" if the cuts aren't too long or deep. You certainly pay real close attention to chatter when you do.

The only real question is if it will fit the 5 inch chuck adapter that I'm using. I'm just wondering if going to a 5C capability would be that much of a plus over 3C or ER32. I've been told by several people that once I try using collets that I'll use the chuck only when I have to. Dunno, but I'm almost curious enough to sell off a couple of old toy steam engines I've got on the "for sale shelf" and experiment a little.

Here is an interesting ER32 option as well:
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2532&category=

Steve

Steve: I was forgetting you have the 7 x 14 . The diameter should not be a problem and you have a few more inches between centers on yours than my 7 x 10 so you should be OK. I like the 3-C setup on my SB is great for 1/2 inch and smaller. And I have found a reasonably priced source for hex and square sets.Need to try my hex ones.
Another option is to build your own 5-c collet chuck I can direct you to plans if interested.
Jim

After a long while of not really using them, I pulled out the 3C collet set the other day to make some of the small sterling parts, and I'm now liking them more. The downside is after I turned a rod end down to .100, I couldn't grip it well with the collets I have (by 16ths) to flip it around and do the other end... a wide-range collet setup or a lot of small-range collets is the way to go if you do a lot of holding of off-size parts.

(Anybody want to swap some /16th 3C collets for /32nds ones? I have a pretty complete spare set of /16ths. )

As a first-order approximation, you could try chucking a 5C collet-block in the 4-jaw.. I might not want to cut anything much like that, but the whole setup is about the same size.

Or, just go for the gusto.. 25C :D :D
IMG00251.jpg

Shred, You could get one of those brass emergency collets. You can drill the size you need then pull out the little pins and you are good to go. I just noticed your using 3-C. Can you get emergency collets in3-C?

Wes

Tin Falcon said:
Shred: 3-c round collets are readily available in 1/64 increments
www.Travers.com carries them also www.tools4cheap.com on e-bay and This guy
Tin
Yeah, I know they're available in those sizes, but not available in my shop yesterday afternoon, and a full set to hold any random size in the range is going to be a lot of collets. The ER series (not that I have any) seem better at holding odd-sizes, if that's a criteria, since they have a larger clamping range. Of course they cost more too.

Back