Small digital tach

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the inductive pickup tachometers for outboard motors and other small engines. There are a variety of then available on both E-Bay and Amazon starting at about US$12. Here is the one I have been using for several years. It is programable for 2 & 4 stroke engines so can be used for wasted spark or camshaft driven ignition. It is self contained with internal battery. When the engine is not running it can be set up to display the total running time on the engine. No wiring. Just position the pickup within about 1 inch from the spark plug wire.
amazon.com/Timorn-Replaceable-Waterproof-Tachometer-Motorcycle/dp/B0756VGDTC/ref=sr_1_15?crid=19BCIJW0W981Q&keywords=OUTBOARD%2BMOTOR%2BTACHOMETER&qid=1644422691&sprefix=outboard%2Bmotor%2Btachometer%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-15&th=1

Gail

Gail,

I tried one of those types on another engine I built, a Hermes from the UK. Sort of worked but was wildly inaccurate. I'm running small home made mags and that maybe part of the problem.

I may use one of the first suggestions and make a separate job box hook up and try a small hall sensor ala a CDI ignition system.

John

You might do a search for digital tachometer on EBay and/or Banggood.com. There are several varieties offered.

I wonder if a reed switch would be less sensitive to magneto generated EMI than a Hall effect sensor.

I swapped the NPN Hall sensor for a NPN proximity switch and just used the big knurled nut for back gear as a target.

P1050592.JPG

I did not want a magnet in there to attract chips. This works well.
Vietti wanted a magnet for a trigger. There are different ways to trigger, but the display is still kind of big.
I wonder if the circuit could be gutted and used on a smaller 3-4 digit display?

Scott

Any ignition signal can be used to trigger a tacho. If you have access to a low tension signal (e.g. points in a conventional coil system, or the trigger signal from a CDI sensor) it can be connected direct to the tacho input.
If you only have access to high tension (e.g. spark plug HT lead) then a few turns of wire around (but not connected to) the HT will also provide a trigger.

Vietti - One option would be to try a "Tiny Tach" or similar. They use an induction pickup from the spark plug lead (just a couple turns of small gauge wire). I don't recall if 'Tiny Tach' has a single cylinder option or not ...
If this is going to be on a hit 'n' miss engine a digital tach might be challenged with the constantly fluctuating speed.

Latest posts

Back