Slide rule???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone wants to learn how to use a slide rule, I have a PDF file (about 3 meg) of a scan of a K&E
booklet I did for a poster on RCM about a year ago. I think it's readable. (with a bit of eye strain) I havent
tried printing it out, just looked at on the monitor. If anyone want s to try a character recognition pgm.
on it youre welcome.
...lew...

Why knock the calculator.

The fact that kids today can't do basic math, how many times have you had to wait at a cash register while a teenager working the till had to dig out a calculator to make change from a dollar sale while us older people can do it in our head, is not a reflection on the calculator or slide rule for that matter. It's because our schools don't teach children properly anymore. We had to learn the math tables, we had to be able to do math with a pencil and paper before we were taught how to use a slide rule, today kids learn how to use a calc. Something wrong there, but don't blame the gun 'cause someone pulled the trigger, calculator's are tools just like a computer or lathe or a slide rule, they don't replace basic knowledge and ability. A lathe isn't much good to someone who doesn't know how to use it and a brain isn't either.

The next time someone says " what will you do when the batteries run down" just tell them the new solar powered calcs. can run off of a candle or even a camp fire, So after the fall of civilization kids will still be able to do math.

This thread got me to digging through the junk heaps again.

I found it! LOL

My Acumath No.150 Trig Log Log Slide Rule was made in about 1964.
It's actually in better condition than I remembered it to be.
SlideRule.jpg

SlideRuleScale.jpg

Rick

Loose nut said:
Why knock the calculator.

The fact that kids today can't do basic math, how many times have you had to wait at a cash register while a teenager working the till had to dig out a calculator to make change from a dollar sale while us older people can do it in our head, is not a reflection on the calculator or slide rule for that matter. It's because our schools don't teach children properly anymore. We had to learn the math tables, we had to be able to do math with a pencil and paper before we were taught how to use a slide rule, today kids learn how to use a calc. Something wrong there, but don't blame the gun 'cause someone pulled the trigger, calculator's are tools just like a computer or lathe or a slide rule, they don't replace basic knowledge and ability. A lathe isn't much good to someone who doesn't know how to use it and a brain isn't either.

The next time someone says " what will you do when the batteries run down" just tell them the new solar powered calcs. can run off of a candle or even a camp fire, So after the fall of civilization kids will still be able to do math.

Just to let you know - I'm from that generation, and can do math quite well, thank you very much... ;)

There's a reason they only get $5 an hour.

I bought a slide rule when I was in grad school and taught myself to use it. It is a billion times better for conversions from metric to imperial than a calculator (beats multiplying everything by .03937 fifty times).

bigsteve said:
Just to let you know - I'm from that generation, and can do math quite well, thank you very much... ;)

Well I guess there had to be one,

but seriously, you probably went on to higher education because of your ability and maybe math skills, the way schools are run today I doubt that they could teach most students today how to use a slide rule.

Allright I step in here.

Changed my mind, I typed up some long argument but deleted it. I am 26. I was an honor student who slept through school. I'm in the south school was easy. I quit doing anything in my 11th grade chemistry class b/c of teacher and attitude problems so It was the only class I ever failed yet I still graduated with around a 3.4GPA. I wasn't good at math as a child then I got that good teacher who made it click. Since then I loved math. I think school was Bull$#!&. If you played the game right it was a cake walk. Now the schools do not make it appealing for the older more experienced people to be teachers. They want young fresh out of college teachers with all the BS theories of how to teach without having any real world knowledge to pass on.
My kids and your grandkids are being taught by children. I hate being judged b/c of my age but I believe teachers should be older more experienced individuals who can find those special ways of getting kids to understand things. You can't teach something well you don't fully understand yourself.

If it weren't for the few knowledgeable old farts I had as teachers who knew how to teach I would not be where I am now. That is why I enjoy this forum so much. I wish I could milk all the knowledge I could out of you old fellas and hopefully pull my son away from the ps2 long enough to pass a little on myself.
I have more but will stop ranting.
I still have no idea how to read these slide rule things :)

zeusrekning said:
I still have no idea how to read these slide rule things :)
Well I sent you a couple of pics and offered to send anyone a K&E booklet on how to use one. If you
want to learn. :)
...lew...

I got the pictures. Thanks for sending them. I may keep an eye out for one then try to learn and use it.

Lew Hartswick said:
Well I sent you a couple of pics and offered to send anyone a K&E booklet on how to use one. If you
want to learn. :)
...lew...

I am up for the booklet ;D

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
I am up for the booklet ;D

Eric

Sent . Hope it's readable and helpfull. If I can answer any questions that are unclear in the booklet
e-mail me.
...lew...

an inch is a "pollice" (pronounced polliche) in Italian, which means thumb!...
That's interesting.My father was a cabinetmaker in Holland.He always referred to nails as so many "thumb".I presume that was the same inch measurement,because Holland has been metric pretty much since it was invented.
And then there was the "Ell",used in the clothing trade.Apparently,this was the measurement from shoulder to elbow of the salesman.Tough luck if you got some short @#$sed little fat fellow,who could barely reach the countertop.I guess that's why "real" measures were standardised.

p.s.My apologies to all little short @#@$@ sed fat fellows,no comparison was intended :big: :big:

Latest posts

Back