Slant engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At a model show a while ago, I saw an interesting model which the owner called a Slant Engine. I asked if he had any drawings of it. He said he did, but I couldn't have them. What he did say was that I could take some pictures of them, and that is what I did.

Here is what I ended up with:

The valves are spool valves, operated by a pair of rocking levers. A small roller bears against a cam for each arm.

I haven't done a build log, but took a few pics of some bits.

Machining frames as a matched pair

A pin was put through the rocker arm pivot holes to maintain alignment while the bottom was machined and the mounting holes drilled/tapped.

I didn't have any of the specified flanged ball bearings, so made up a couple of brass covers which did the job just as well.

Cylinder block and head. The drawings said brass for the block, but I used steel because I didn't have a lump of brass that size. Besides, I like the contrast.

The rocker arms were perhaps the trickiest items to make.

Here are the embryo rockers and roller arms. The rollers are the ubiquitous hard drive bearings!

Machining the scallops in the arms.

Completed rocker arms. The pivots were soft soldered in place.

The flywheels used a combination of brass for the rims and aluminium for the inside.

This is an unknown brass casting which provided the rims

The rims being turned

And the obligatory video can be found here:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bKZ2B-vssU[/ame]

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Nice looking engine. Looks very familiar....looks like a small slanted steam engine that I saw years ago at a Vermont Model Engineering show and also at Cabin Fever Expo before it moved to York, PA. The designer was from the Buffalo, NY area. Mike P ?????? The same designer also has an open-column, single-cylinder launch engine, on display with his slant-engine, and the drawings for the launch engine were later printed in the now defunct "MODELTEC" or, early "Home Shop Machinist" magazine. My memory ain't what it used to be. It has to be at least 15 + years.

Frank

EDIT: "LIVE STEAM" ran the plans for the 1.5" x 1.5" Open Column Launch Engine...Oct. 2003 by Mike (Sid) Pileski. His slanted, 2-cylinder bar-stock, steam engine is similar to the above engine.

Latest posts

Back