SKIP DIVING

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I got to work this morning, Some nice gentlemen were just finishing with dropping two 60" plotter/printers into the dumpster.

They were immediately transferred to my car. Should be a nice haul of raw material! And the drive motors look real beefy as well.

:D

Kermit

Lucky, lucky, lucky. Goes to show what you can find if you keep your eyes open. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

I can't speak for the rest of the world but removing anything from any skip in the UK is theft unless you have permission.

I've been in the UK's Olympic Skip Diving team for 30+yrs & have won Gold on several occasions but before the triple back flip with a double roll entry *I ALWAYS GET PERMISSION*.

Please, to save yourselve's a lot of embarrassment, always knock on the door & explain who you are & why you want it. It works 99.9% of the time & I've only ever been denied by one chap who's had £1000's worth of scrap gone missing from a skip he can't hide behind security fencing.

Scrap metal is very valuable in the UK & a lot of companies even factor the £value of it into their price for the job, so before you dive in please knock on the door & ask.

Babba You have much wisdom.

I would not have been so lucky had I not been an employee of the business and been issued a pass card for entry. Anyone not having these things would have shortly meet up with a police officer or three. ;)

Here is what they helped me load in my car. I was deceptive in leading everyone to believe I lifted these up and loaded them by myself. 8)

printer.jpg

May the skip divers luck be with you all my friends, ;D

Kermit

Could be laminators or wide format inkjet printers...
Cheers,
Brian

It is VERY similiar to this model rite cheer

http://www.pcprepairs.co.uk/eng-copiers/2511.htm

For printing on BIG sheets of paper. Schematics or Plans or what have ya! Replaced by stuff that has been replaced since then once or twice more by now! This just got over looked in a closet and now that space was needed and its hiding place was disturbed. One look and somebody said 'dinosaur', and out it went. ;D

Then I strolled in to work - :p late as usual. ;)

Kermit

Kermit

I like your new Avatar. Hope you have lots of fun when you tear into those items for parts. If they are laser printers and use toner be careful not to let it get all over. It can make a big mess in a hurry. Don't forget to keep the camera handy when you tear into them. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

I know this is very wide of the mark...im tired been on the road for 11 hours today... old toner VERY good for tinting epoxy resins and fibreglass... (if you like or need a black epoxy or fibreglass finish)...... :p

Hi Rob
Do you remember me telling you about that stove flue coupling ring i made out of
boiler plate the other day the guy that got it was well pleased with it and yesterday
called round with some goodies for me it was an assortment of PB bar sorry about the pictures i had the camera on wide angle by mistake and caused the curvature effect ,nothing is bent it's all quite straight (must read the manual sometime) not exactly skipdiving but exchange is no robbery!

Img_0176.jpg

Cheers Paul

Kermit, those old machines are wide format print copiers. Made by Xerox back in the day. Greatest new thing since the blueprint.

My father was the lead designer on the original version of those, way back in the early 70's. The 2500 series, I believe. You ought to find lots of precision ground shafts and bearings inside. A testament to how they build them back then; although old and outdated, they are probably fully functional.

Hi All

i have been skipdiving again found some interesting bits the top picture is a lump of cast iron that was in the base of an anglepoise type lamp those lugs look like some small cylinders to me! looks like a good quality iron to me the shiny bit at the front is where i put a file to it and it files easily so it aint chilled.The bottom picture is some bits of 6mm plate that was in the base of a bankers type lamp good stuff from an unusual source i have found a few lamps of this type and some of them have resin or granite concrete instead of metal
CI.jpg

6MM-Plate.jpg

Cheers Paul

Not quite true skip(dumpster) diving, but almost.
Took a couple of old mattresses to the local council dump today, and whilst I was hauling them into the skip, the Mrs was having a look at the side tables where the staff 'rescue' stuff thats dumped, and then sell it on for a bit of Beer money.

Got this for 50p because they said it wasnt working, but all it took to fix it was tightening a miniature grub screw with a 1mm allen key.

Orrery_1.jpg

I think I got a bit of a result there, and it will make a nice Christmas present for someone I have in mind.
I'm not sure I have the Planets in the right order though.

Peter

Working or not, it makes a beautiful model shined up like that.

Nice find.

I can see .................a steam powered solar system :big: :big: :big:

Nice score.
I spent a year and a lot of money building that.
Yours is short the last few planets, base and motor but still very much worth 50p.

It was genuinely a pretty good kit.
The only problem I had was two grub screw holes hadn't been cleaned of the swarf so I couldn't do the screw up.
Quickly ran the 3mm tap through them and it was as good as new.

Latest posts

Back