SKIP DIVING

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RobWilson

Hi all
here are a few tools i have picked up over the last few months ,,,all free and out of skips

Hi Rob

Do us a favour, mate... send some of your skips over my way :big:

For anybody considering mining for machining gold in the local skips, do yourselves a service and ensure that your anti-tetanus jabs are up-to-date, or you might bring home more than just machinery :( :(

Joe

Not a skip find but recently I had a guy ask me if I was still doing foundry work..yeah ..why? He had this in his shed for years and thought I might have a use for it.... 3.5" by 35" Aluminium no idea what grade and fairly oxidised....

09102009278.jpg

I have been pretty fortunate that my friend that works in a machine shop catches the stuff BEFORE it gets tossed and brings it to me.

You have acquired some really nice projects.

Artie said:
Not a skip find but recently I had a guy ask me if I was still doing foundry work..yeah ..why? He had this in his shed for years and thought I might have a use for it.... 3.5" by 35" Aluminium no idea what grade and fairly oxidised....
GOSH! don't melt that down. It's way to valuable to be used for that. Even if the
alloy is unknown it's usable for a lot of things. Wish I had a chunk like that.
...lew...

once its in the skip, its fair game.

it never ceases to amaze me what gets chucked ou ::) ::)

Well, since we're gloating.... ;D here's a couple of my finds.

Clausing drill found in a ditch in front of a machine shop. The owner said it wasn't his, someone just dumped it there during the night. It had been there about a week because nobody wanted to carry it to the skip!

drill.jpg

Delta/Rockwell surface grinder found laying next to a shop. Paid the owner $40 to help load it into the truck.

delta.jpg

Example of what it looks like assembled....

2896-A.jpg

Happy hunting

Jeff

Lew Hartswick said:
GOSH! don't melt that down. It's way to valuable to be used for that. Even if the
alloy is unknown it's usable for a lot of things. Wish I had a chunk like that.
...lew...

No Lew, its going into stock.... ;)

Hi Artie,
Is that the beginings of a microlight I see in your profile there?
Cheers, (from across the ditch)

4wheels said:
Hi Artie,
Is that the beginings of a microlight I see in your profile there?
Cheers, (from across the ditch)

Yes mate it is.... incidentally I was across your side of teh ditch a few days ago.... mighty nice people in a mighty nice land.....

Next time you are over here and in the Wellington area give us a yell and come on out for a coffee or a glass of something. Would be great to meet. I love microlights and I have over 100 hrs up. Over 40hrs in a homebuilt Turbulent, VW engine. Love every minute but sold those and bought a lathe and now back to my original hobby of steam engineering etc.
P.S. How do you add the quote from a previous post?
Cheers,

4wheels said:
Next time you are over here and in the Wellington area give us a yell and come on out for a coffee or a glass of something. Would be great to meet. I love microlights and I have over 100 hrs up. Over 40hrs in a homebuilt Turbulent, VW engine. Love every minute but sold those and bought a lathe and now back to my original hobby of steam engineering etc.
P.S. How do you add the quote from a previous post?
Cheers,
We are due back in March I think to do some time in the south island...Will let you know when that is about to happen... though sadly if its a glass of red you are inferring then I will bring an aussie one along... I didnt fall in love with 'over-the-ditch' reds.... your whites are very good though. Had trouble getting Gretl to come home....

Quotes? Top right hand corner of the item you are reading is a button called.."quote". Have a go at that.....

Cheers mate.

I got ya... yes you DO see a microlite in my profile BUT its not a microlite aviation, but a microlite offroad car..sorry mate... I misunderstood. This is a motorcycle powered offroad car. Its for a class of racing here in Aus.... soon Ill be making loud noises with this Suzuki Hayabusa powered beasty.

Incidentally, a guy in Western Australia built one of these cars with larger diameter tubing so he could compete with the full sized cars ($300,000 worth) and blew them away.. I think they are looking at ways of banning them from full sized comps..... he he he

Rob, sorry to take over your thread.... back to you....

Wow, the best thing I ever find in skips is a few bits of mild steel plate or ali plate.
Stuff like that just doesn't get thrown out where I live.

did you really jump in the skip? i had no idea people chucked that sort of stuff out so regularly ???

i was working in a CNC machine shop and didnt have much work to do to i was sent down to the manual machines to give it a little clean well i cleaned all the old stuff gave the vices a spray with DW40 and when i asked the old grinder about something he said none of it would ever be used again :mad: what a shame someone could have used that gear but then again i only wish i could have given it all a good home ;)

how did you get them to let you jump in the skip? did you just ask nicely if they had any broken or old tooling they would give away for a 6pack or a slab?

i havent ever found any machines in the dumpster but its a good place to get material. found about 50 lbs of endmills and such in a pile once, about half where plenty good to use in the hobby shop, some where nearly new.

oh oh oh just remembered ............there is lots of spit in bins ;D lol

I waiting for someone to post a picture of a gorgeous girl they found while "skid/dumpster diving. :big:

It seems some of these guys a lucky enough, and they find everything else.

Hal

RobWilson said:
no worries Artie, looks a nice bit of kit your building ;D

New_Guy
did you really jump in the skip? ,,, O yes i have no shame ;D,,,,,,,,, it dose help that i do,,do work for the company's that i go skip diving in ;)

Regards Rob

ah that would be a great job :D i must confess i would grab broken HSS when found some ...... somehow i have heaps of carbide shanks to :eek: owell i have an idea on how to use them i just need a diamond grinder :p also found a dove tail cutter in a bin to it was a reject as the tap had broken in the last hole, it takes 3 inserts of what kind i dont know anyway it shows what can be done in an Intergrex CNC

Well what can i say the subject of skip diving has quite a few more followers
than i thought existed as i am partial to a good dive i shall have to post some
of the spoils from my expeditions keep on diving guys its amazing what gets
thrown out and being of a low income i have to watch what i spend.

Cheers Paul

Latest posts

Back