Simpsonville, SC County fair ...... The world is shrinking

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
Today was another day of attending a local farm show. This one was was held in Simpsonville SC as part of one the last true old fashioned agricultural based xounty fairs. No midway rides.... just lots of farm related equipment like tractors old implements, lots of hit and miss engines and animals of all kinds competing for top honors. It was refreshing to know the old ways are still alive and that the locals support it vigorously, even on a gray and sometimes rather rainy day.

John 1 and John 2 were there showing their IC engines while I held up the steam banner on my end of the tables. Just as I began packing, at the end of the day, a gentleman approached me saying he had recently taken up the miniature engine building hobby and lives in my general area. As we spoke, I asked if he'd found HMEM yet and, to my surprise, he said he had indeed found the place and was a regular reader.

He confessed to lurking but assured me it was only due to not having actually built an engine yet. I introduced myself as being "Cedge" and I think he'd already come to that conclusion after spying the little Victorian on the table. Unfortunately I got distracted while loading the truck and he managed to escape before I could get his HMEM name or any contact information.

I hope he'll resurface long enough to identify himself again, (a PM would be just fine) especially since it's so difficult to find guys like us so nearby. I'll have to admit, it was gratifying to realize that it is becoming more and more likely that one can encounter other HMEM members when and wherever engines gather and their owners kibitz. HMEM is becoming known worldwide... who knew?

Steve

Latest posts

Back