Hello from a long time lurker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCPenney

Reaction score
I guess an introduction is way overdue. I've been reading HMEM for years and I've apparently had an account for three. I can't believe I've kept my mouth shut for that long :eek:

My name is Wade and my wife and I live in an old farmhouse in southern New Hampshire U.S.A.

My father was a machinist and later an engineer in the tool and die trade. His frequent conversations with my brother and I about how the world works under the hood passed the "bug" onto us. My brother when through trade school and settled into precision grinding for a while. I spent a long time in the computer industry.

My father was also an accomplished builder of model airplanes. He built kits for kids in the neighborhood when he was younger and got us into control line flying when we were young. I had the displeasure of stuffing his prized Ringmaster Imperial :fan: The MCoy Redhead survived and I still have it kicking around somewhere along with dozens of other relics of those summers.

My shop is a 40' x 25' two story garage. I occasionally move smaller gear out onto a four season porch attached to our house and set up a "winter shop" closer to the wood stove.

Some of my bigger metal working gear:
-Pratt Whitney & Co. 10" shaper.
-Pratt Whitney & Co. 8" x 26" hand/speed lathe.
-Myers Machine Tool Co. 11" x 36" engine lathe.
-Still looking for a decent sized mill

Some of the smaller gear:
-W.F & John Barnes #4 lathe
-Taig Lathe
-SX2 Mini Mill
-Ammco 7" Shaper

My project list is far too long to post here, but here are a few recent things I've been wrenching on:

- I've been working on collecting the ingredients to CNC the Taig lathe. I put together a bit of code to run two steppers and control a Minarik speed controller from an Arduino Uno. The steppers are powered from a home brew power supply and a bread boarded darlington array. The Arduino reads "NotreallyGcode" from a file on an SD card.

- I chopped up a couple of cheap calipers to make a DRO for the Taig but have not mounted them yet. I was thinking that I would attach steppers to 20 tpi all-thread on a bench and attach the lead nuts to the caliper carriage to test out the Arduino and steppers first.

- I've also been working on a print for a tangential tool holder that will fit the Taig and a Sherline (my brother has a Sherline.)

- My brother and I are trying to find a day when we can swing down to the metal supplier and pick up stock for a pair of small open frame marine engines. Sort of a team build between us. We were thinking of the engine that was published in the Unimat brochure, or possibly the motor in Joe Martin's "Table Top Machining" book.

- Eventually I'd like to build a radial. Possibly the Liney, or perhaps one of Elmers.

See you in the forums
Wade.

Hi Wade and welcome.

Good luck with your projects and yes, we love photos.

Vince

... to the "limelight". I tend to lurk myself though I have posted a few times. My main project (and has been my project for years) is a Pennsy A3 in 3/4" scale though I've done a few other things in between or along side.

Paul

I guess an introduction is way overdue. I've been reading HMEM for years and I've apparently had an account for three. I can't believe I've kept my mouth shut for that long :eek:

My name is Wade and my wife and I live in an old farmhouse in southern New Hampshire U.S.A.

My father was a machinist and later an engineer in the tool and die trade. His frequent conversations with my brother and I about how the world works under the hood passed the "bug" onto us. My brother when through trade school and settled into precision grinding for a while. I spent a long time in the computer industry.

My father was also an accomplished builder of model airplanes. He built kits for kids in the neighborhood when he was younger and got us into control line flying when we were young. I had the displeasure of stuffing his prized Ringmaster Imperial :fan: The MCoy Redhead survived and I still have it kicking around somewhere along with dozens of other relics of those summers.

My shop is a 40' x 25' two story garage. I occasionally move smaller gear out onto a four season porch attached to our house and set up a "winter shop" closer to the wood stove.

Some of my bigger metal working gear:
-Pratt Whitney & Co. 10" shaper.
-Pratt Whitney & Co. 8" x 26" hand/speed lathe.
-Myers Machine Tool Co. 11" x 36" engine lathe.
-Still looking for a decent sized mill

Some of the smaller gear:
-W.F & John Barnes #4 lathe
-Taig Lathe
-SX2 Mini Mill
-Ammco 7" Shaper

My project list is far too long to post here, but here are a few recent things I've been wrenching on:

- I've been working on collecting the ingredients to CNC the Taig lathe. I put together a bit of code to run two steppers and control a Minarik speed controller from an Arduino Uno. The steppers are powered from a home brew power supply and a bread boarded darlington array. The Arduino reads "NotreallyGcode" from a file on an SD card.

- I chopped up a couple of cheap calipers to make a DRO for the Taig but have not mounted them yet. I was thinking that I would attach steppers to 20 tpi all-thread on a bench and attach the lead nuts to the caliper carriage to test out the Arduino and steppers first.

- I've also been working on a print for a tangential tool holder that will fit the Taig and a Sherline (my brother has a Sherline.)

- My brother and I are trying to find a day when we can swing down to the metal supplier and pick up stock for a pair of small open frame marine engines. Sort of a team build between us. We were thinking of the engine that was published in the Unimat brochure, or possibly the motor in Joe Martin's "Table Top Machining" book.

- Eventually I'd like to build a radial. Possibly the Liney, or perhaps one of Elmers.

See you in the forums
Wade.
Welcome to the forum from Tenn long time engineer K 9!dog trainer Rc modeler ( giant scale warbirds)

Latest posts

Back