Simplifying Complicated Engines...Questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
Just bought drawings for a 100cc, 90 degree, V-6 Glow-Plug engine. The engine-build will be complicated, and a little daunting for a first-timer. I will not attempt to build the engine now, but I'll wait until I acquire more machining skills.

Some generalized questions:
Could I just build a single cylinder, or, a V-2 from the V-6 plans?

Assuming that I make the necessary changes, are there hidden dangers in doing this? The V-6 engine seems to be just three, V-2 engines in a row, with each twin, having a separate carb.

Is it common for you experienced engine builders to take a viable, but complicated, multi-cylinder, engine design, and then just make a single-cylinder engine? What's the difference between an 8 cylinder radial, reduced to one cylinder, with a new crank set-up, different carb, etc? I see this done with the "Morton" engines, with in-line, two strokes, etc.

I know the questions are very generalized, and cannot be answered with a yes or, no.

Just speculating, in print form.

Frank

The V-6 engine seems to be just three, V-2 engines in a row,

Or two 3-cyl engines :)
Don't laugh, 3 pot engines are out there. Daihatsu had a 1L 3cyl twincam turbo that made the Charade GTti a rally weapon in it's class.
They sound awesome too...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkSuM1RAd4Y[/ame]

but I digress...

I cant speak from experience but had read in SIC magazine about a few people that made 'simple' single cylinder equivalents of a much more complex engine as a proof of concept and to iron out bugs before investing much time on the 8/10/12/16 cyl behemoth, so it can be done.

Last edited:
/ / /

Thanks for the quick answer. I wondered why it can't be done, but it can, with obvious changes to some parts.

Frank

I should think it would be quite easy with your V-6 design to make versions with less cylinders, you could always make a V-twin then if it works just make 4 more of everything plus a crank & case and use the existing two cylinder/head sets.

I have copies of some of Malcom Strides unpublished prototype engines which include V-6, straight 4 & 6 derivatives all of which were to use his 7.5cc cylinder/piston/rod from the published Bobcat and Jaguar designs, some using the same pushrod design others with belt driven overhead cams.

I have been toying with the idea of doing an opposed twin using many of the same parts, having them all in CAD makes it easy to play around with layouts.

J

the only thing i can think of that would possibly need to be added is a heavy flywheel, because you dont have the other cylinders providing power all the time.

A V6 is just 6 single cylinders running on one crankshaft, so providing you get the carb right and the flywheel mass substantial enough to keep it going you have every chance of success.

Latest posts

Back