Should I get a shaper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
I've been offered a shaper at a great price but I'm undecided if I should go for it !! main concern is that space is an issue in my workshop (just a single garage) I could just about squeeze it in but it would make things pretty tight. I've seen Artie's posts on his shaper, in his cavenous workshop :) and know that he loves it but is there really a need for one for a budding model engineer. I'm only really interested in small engines not building locos or anything but don't want to let this one go if I'm likely to regret it in the near future.

So would love to hear from anyone that has one and couldn't live without it, or is it just a luxury that's nice to have if you can.

Thanks

Jim

If its going cheap because it gets no use then that might be your answer.

A single pass with a fly cutter will get you there faster than a shaper could.

I used one in technical school 17 years ago but now students don't use it. And I have never seen one in any of the shops I have worked in.

It has its place, but if space is an issue...

I'm sure others may tell it different.

i watched a one being used in Rob Wilsons shop
I could certainly use one if i had the space

I would say go for it . If you really do not like it pass it on. I Have one they are relaxing and fairly intuitive to use. IMHO it compliments the small mill. mine is as 7" so the work area is not that different from my little x-2.
Tin

Should you get a shaper? More to the point, what are you doing without one? They'll have to drag my 10" Douglas out over my cold corpse to get it away from me.

Tin Falcon said:
*** it compliments the small mill ***

I'll second that. It's a great third machine, after a mill and lathe. But then, I'm a shaper addict: I have four and hope to add a fifth soon! Just drag it home and ask questions later.

Some jobs just can't be done any other way....but as was mentioned, if space is at a premium......

I had a 7" AAMCO....it was the most accurate machine in the shop there for a while........but the Aciera came a long and I sold it to a friend ....with the provisio that I can come visit... ;D

Dave

Shapers are great for:
  • Making dovetails
  • Making internal keyways and splines
  • Making internal toothed gears
All with inexpensive shop-made cutters. If I could get a small one cheap I'd go for it.

Alan

Thanks to all that replied, but sorry to report that I've decided to let it go. Although I'm sure it would be useful I think that it will end up getting in the way and cause me more grief than it solves. It's a shame but sometimes you just have to take the practical view :(

Cheers

Jim

Yep, wot Lathe Nut said! It's not until you get one that you realise you can't live without one!

Like I said before you should get it if you really do not like it you can pass it on but IHMHO you will at some point regret passing it up.
Tin

I ended up with one for free when I bought my Southbend. The guy was cleaning out his shop due to an illness. I don't have a mill and I remembered the school metal shop had one so I gladly accepted. Unfortunately some assembly is required. ;D

Back