Shop-made tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Stevenson said:
Instead of making a holder use the straight end of one of those cheap boring tools.
The type where you get one square at 90 degrees and the other at 45 degrees.

John,
My brain is not working at peak efficiency today .......... can I have a picture

Ta ;)

John
I can die happy now that I know I can bugger up hex head bolts with absolute accuracy...LOL... Perfection!!

Steve

Was looking for an old wood chisel, (Don't ask ::)) and came across this gizmo in the photo.

Looking at the name stamped in the wooden handle which is possibly ebony, I think it was my Great Great Grandfathers and thus mid 19th Century.

Any ideas what it may be ??? ??? ??? Point at one end wood type chisel at an angle at the other.

Regards
Bob

100_0424-1.jpg

Bob, have something very similar but not ebony (

it was used with veneers for intricate veneer work

i used it as a leather engraver but the original usage was veneer work i forget the name sorry.

grandafther was a very high level art deco furniture maker in his day

cheers

jack

Thanks Jack,

That fits with what I know about him, I still have his old wooden planes and chisels and in the UK at my cousins home is a large dresser type thing all made without nails or screws, just wooden pegs and dovetail joints.

Regards
Bob

John Stevenson said:
I modified these to make them more accurate and swap easily from imperial to metric.

Well, now we know who's selling them on eBay. ;D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Thanks Bluechip,

Never was much of a woodworker, the bits come off to fast for me and I make too many blunders.

Regards
Bob :D

One more thing to note about your marking knife,
The knife is for cutting across the grain,
the other end (awl) is used for marking with the grain

MattMoore,

Thanks for further enlightenment on my little find. :bow:

They new much more than we give them credit for didn't they.

I found and old, (early 1900's), book about making piston rings and then a paper on the internet about piston ring tribology, with umpteen nifty formula for calculating the ring blank dimensions.

The 1900's book talked in 1/64" terms and the other xxxxxx decimal places. When I compared one result with the other, they were within a few thou of each other :eek: :eek:

Thanks again, me and my ancestor can now rest in peace.

Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Thanks again, me and my ancestor can now rest in peace.
Your Ancestor perhaps Bob ::) .............. but for you I'm afraid it's an eternity on HMEM ............... so no peace ..... but ... just have fun ;)

CC

CC

Ashes to Ashes
and Dust to Dust
But no oil on steel
And you end up with Rust

Best Regards
Bob ::)

I'm shooting for the "grungiest tool" award ;D: this is a buffer I made when I noticed that a defunct electric motor still has 2 bearings a foot or so apart, and right in line. So I threw out the armature, cut a hole in the housing for a belt, and made a nice shaft with a RH thread on one end and a LH on the other. Maybe the most-used tool in my shop.

Buffer.jpg

Nuttin' grungy about that one mate - do you want me to look after it for a few years for you?

Latest posts

Back