Shop-made tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres some crude stuff
P1010887.jpg

P1010922.jpg

P1010877.jpg

this is for the 8x12 lathe easy chuck bolt removal
P1010872.jpg

Here's another example of the ubiquitous ball turner.
This one was made from an original design for a Logan lathe by Holescreek (mike) over on the PM forum, then re-designed to fit my Myford.
It's very smooth in the cut with the taper roller bearing.

Ball_Turner_1.jpeg

Here are the component parts

Ball_Turner_2.jpeg

First job was cutting a concave radius in a lump of brass to fix a ceiling light fitting for the MIL. Even with the large amount of 'stick-out' on the cutter it was still chatter free, although as someone remarked after seeing the photo, brass makes heroes of us all.

Concave_Cut.jpeg

Mike was quite happy to make the plans freely available, and punted out loads of copies, but I haven't seen anyone else's efforts on it yet.

Peter

Sid :bow:

Nothing crude there mate, all dam good stuff.

Top class thread guys, keep up the good work ................ where's the "whip" smiley when you need it ???

CC

Here's a simple vice-held bending fixture I made to bend some alumiinium brackets.
Unfortunately all the good ones were finished and gone before I ended up taking pictures, and the example shown was made on a scrap piece.

The bracket was a bit of a pain, as the parts had a full radius on each end with a 10mm hole where the edge was just 2.5mm back from the radius.
I made up a pin through the block to locate the hole, then a used a plate across the front (which I couldn't find for these pics) to pinch it when held in the vice.
The block was made with an included angle of 86 deg to allow for springback in the Aluminium.

In practice it was very simple to use, just held in the bench vice, and did an adequate job of bending without problems.

Bending_jig%20001.jpg

Bending_jig%20004.jpg

Bending_jig%20008.jpg

Bending_jig%20011.jpg

Peter

Hi Guys,

The cross drilling fixture was written up in Model Engine Magazine a short time ago. Here's a model of it.
Crossdrillingfixture.jpg

It was inspired by you Brits, only I don't remove the compound.
It mounts on an AXA wedge tool post. I milled the vees with a single flute csink and an end mill right in the lathe it's used in. That way the vee groove is exactly on center. It's great for all kinds of things like boring bars and notching tubing. The design has two vee's One large and one small. It also has an endstop for repetative work. It doesn come in handy and since I keep the tool post square and parallel to the lathe long axis, It's ready in seconds to cross drill.

Twinsquirrel said:
I think that's on the "other" forum you frequent CC ;D

Dam :( ............ spotted :eek: ...... R U a member too TS ::).......... :big:

OK guys ....... back to the real world ;D

CC

Blimey chaps :bow:

I've just gone back and re-read this thread and I can only say ........... I hate you all ;D ........... as I now have 6 more pages of

"Things I must Build" ............ to add to the already long list :( :wall:

Thanks guys .............. as ever ............ you are all ............. an inspiration ;)

CC

Steamer,
I take it that block sits dead bottom on the tool post? Do you flip it over to use the other groove?

CC,
Care to share that list? ;D

YES and YES

If you have a slightly buggered up compound, you may want to clean it up first.

Dave

I have a simpler version of the centre drilling jig but my ISP has locked me out of my web dump where all the pics are.

I'll post it tomorrow when they have woken up.

Mine rotates 350 degrees 8)

When I can get the picture :-[

Oh.. :)

I rotate mine by turning the compound. I leave my compound on 30 degrees and set the toolpost square/parallel to the spindle.

I don't think that is what you mean though....I look forward to your pictures. ;D

Dave

Aahhaa
Finally got into the ISP.

veepad%20centre1.jpg

Nothing new, been out years but so simple and handy, fits any Morse 2 tailstock.

OOOOOK! ;D

Now I get it. That is very simple...a crotch center which for most items is the cats backside. ;D Hell they were standard equipment on a lot of lathes when people in industry actually had to know how to run manual machines.

Mine is just a copy of the British version but made to mount on the post. Less of a hassel than pulling the compound off....... but dropping that crotch center into the tailstock....or even the headstock for that matter, sure is quick and simple.

Dave :)

Something I made last year.

tapping3.jpg

It's an air tapper, I bought the reversible head and the collets from a guy who sells the whole lot on Ebay.
They want 800 UKP for the whole lot but agreed to sell me the head and collets for 300 UKP as I told them I already had the frame. [ I didn't but for 500 notes I could make one ]

Their frame was only pressed steel and bushed.
Mine is 40mm square box, 4mm thick with bosses and sealed bearings, it has a gas strut on the back out of an X3 mill and is balanced to be neutral.

The pic was taken as it was being built, in fact it hadn't been piped up at that point, it has since been powder coated.
It works absolutely fine, taps down to 3mm without snapping a tap and so quick.
I should have bought one or made one years ago it's so good. It can swivel and reach anywhere on the bench.

Now that's cool :)

Whats the largest it will handle? 3/8-16 was nut busting when I made the faceplate..didn't help that the tap wasn't too sharp either...a power tapper would have been handy though.

Dave

This one has the clutches from 3mm to 12 mm so it should do 1/2"

You can get different heads but tis one seemed to suit what I do the best.

Ok John... That tapper is very cool. care to do some drawings on your design for us?

Eric

Latest posts

Back