Shop lights

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by Gordon, Apr 5, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 2, 2018 #41

stuartblack

stuartblack

stuartblack

I bought a cool white light for the kitchen and found although was crisp light I couldnt tell if meat was cooked. It looked raw. I changed to warm white was not crisp but I could see if the meat was cooked. If it was me ide try both warm and cool white. Perhaps cool is best in one spot and warm in another. ?

2. Jun 2, 2018 #42

boxersatheart

boxersatheart

boxersatheart

Watch for a sale at your local Sams CLub.... Got my 4 foot LED shop lights for $25 each! They come with all cords and such and can be ganged up to ten in a single row! BRIGHT!!!!!!!

3. Jun 2, 2018 #43

Anatol

Anatol

Anatol

once upon a time there were no fluro tubes. Shop lighting was big bulbs in those (now fashionable) 'industrial' shades. Tubes have the advantage of not casting strong shadows, but flicker can be dangerous in shop. Maybe the days of tubes are over. Not sure I'd pay a premium to buy leds that are remanufactured to fit onto tube housings. If your tubes are getting old, or if setting up a new shop, I'd look at newer led options. I bought some amazing 110v COB floods on Amazon for $5 each, (COB is the led technology that looks like a patch of yellow pollen). These things are amazing (Chinese of course) - small (about 5"x5"), light, cool, efficient, bright and will probably last forever. They install with one screw - and a couple of wire nuts or such.

4. Jun 3, 2018 #44

harborfreight8x12

harborfreight8x12

harborfreight8x12

Hi. FWIW, I have tried the LED 4' lights from Sams Club and love them. Just plug and play. I have also been confused and tried the replacement bulbs for existing florescent lights, both the ballast and re-wire types. I most definately prefer the re-wire ballast by-pass type simply because it's dangerous to keep an old ballast as I have had them catch fire. Now, I would never go with the LED bulbs that keep the ballast.
    Kind regards, Al

5. Jun 3, 2018 #45

lemelman

lemelman

lemelman

I'm in UK and have just replaced the six 6ft florescent tubes with LEDs which I purchased from Lampshoponline. The price was much better than anywhere else I could find, and fitting was straightforward. I just had to remove all the florescent starter stuff and wire just one end to the input mains cable. The tubes are powered from one end only - the pins at the other end are only for support. I removed all wiring from the support end.
    The difference is very noticeable; instant start, no flickering, reduced running costs, and more light. Well worth the effort.