Shop Lighting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Noitoen

Interesting video. I'm currently relocating my lathe and refurbishing my shed and one of the (many) things I want to improve on is the lighting. This video mainly concerns itself with the use of high frequency electronic ballasts.

Am I right in thinking that these no longer need a starter ?.

Using a high frequency electronic ballast, does the light output still diminish in the same way with time? The T10 tubes I have (old magnetic ballast) still work but their light output has dropped to a point where they will be replaced anyway. It seems a bit crazy quoting a life of 20,000 hours when the light output and colour temperature changes so much. I reckon 8000 hours tops before a change is needed, IMHO.

Perhaps someone who has direct hands on experience would care to comment.

Best Regards

picclock

The size of the normal transformer's core is proportional to the supply frequency. That's the reason that on a electric motor's name plate, the horsepower for 60Hz is 20% higher then for 50Hz. Fluorescent tubes run on "frequency" to put it simple, it's the change of the currents direction that makes it glow. If you connect it to DC it doesn't work. If you lower the frequency it will dim and the opposite is also true to a certain level. Modern electronic ballasts don't need starters and are smaller due to the high frequency transformer (reduced in size) used and save energy by "extracting" more light out of the tube and saving on heat loss. Also, modern tubes have improved efficiency that also help save.

Latest posts

Back