Shop built faceplate for Logan 400

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almega

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted a faceplate for my Logan 400 lathe and even though I could buy one, I thought it would be good experience to make one since I am new to the metal machining trade. I didn't have any cast iron so I decided to make it from A36 hot rolled steel. I bought a piece of 3/4" plate, 6" square and a piece of round bar 2-1/2" in diameter.

I started with the 2-1/2" round which would be the part that will thread onto the spindle. I faced it off, I bored it out so I could cut the 1-1/2 - 8 internal thread and fitted it to the lathe spindle. Once fitted, I threaded it onto the spindle, faced off the other end and cleaned up the outside which ended up being approximately 2-3/8" OD. I then cut a 2-3/8 - 14 thread on the outside of the hub for approximately 1/2".

Hub inside.jpg Hub outside.JPG

I then lopped the corners off the square plate to make a rough octagon and chucked in the 4 jaw chuck. I cleaned up the face and bored a hole through it. I then expanded the hole to accommodate an internal thread to fit the 2-3/8 - 14 thread on the hub. I tweaked the thread until I got a very close fit and then threaded the hub unto the plate. I mounted the hub-plate assembly on the spindle and turned the plate round and cleaned up the face.

Plate backside.JPG Hub-plate assy.JPG Cleaned up assy.JPG

It is now ready to drill and tap to hold parts for machining as needed.Hub inside.jpg Hub outside.JPG Plate backside.JPG Hub-plate assy.JPG Cleaned up assy.JPG

I actually decided to make it a little more complicated so I added machine screws to secure the plate to the hub so that it cannot unscrew itself, even though not really necessary. It gave me practice drilling a bolt circle, clearance holes, countersinking and tapping blind holes. Screws are 1/4-20.
Faceplate overkill.JPG

I actually decided to make it a little more complicated so I added machine screws to secure the plate to the hub so that it cannot unscrew itself, even though not really necessary. It gave me practice drilling a bolt circle, clearance holes, countersinking and tapping blind holes. Screws are 1/4-20.
View attachment 103223
Beautiful work! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your project with us!

Latest posts

Back