Sherline Chuck?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florian

Reaction score

Hi

I wonder if someone here can tell me what the quality of the sherline 3 jaw chuck is. Most important thing would be that the jaws are guided well. (So that the precision is reproducible)

Florian

Hi Florin,

I have a Sherline. It's pretty precise little chuck. I'm quiet happy with it's proformance. I'll have to check and see what kind of run out I have.

bernd

Could you also make some close-up photos? I am very interested in a picture from the back side of the chuck. And also in one which shows the chuck with removed jaw's.

I am looking for a three jaw chuch for my watchmakers lathe:

347_4100bd950ac87e16dfaf8ba833f4ba52.jpg

347_b6714cd8837341f44062b64af584528b.jpg

Florian :)

If it's anything like the Taig, it'll have a smooth back and a 3/4"-16 threaded spindle hole.

Here are the pics Florin. Also as Shred said 3/4"-16 female threads.

Frontside
sher1.jpg

Backside
sher2.jpg

Front with jaws removed and 6" (15cm) scale.
sher3.jpg

Runout about .001" to .002" (.02mm to .06mm) Hope this helped.

Regards,
Bernd

Can anyone recommend a UK supplier for the 3 Jaw Sherline chucks? I was thinking of buying one for my Taig, as the Taig 3 jaw with the soft aluminium jaws doesn't have much purchase on steel stock.

Bogstandard said:
Hi Florian,

Have a look at this retailer, they do all sorts for watchmakers lathes

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/JEWELERY_TOOLS_.html

John

Hi John

I had such a chuck... Im never again going to buy one... :mad:
The quality was awful... (something like half a millimeter runout 2 cm away from the jaws...

@ alan 2525: There is a UK supplier, you can find it with google; just enter "Millhill supplies". But the prices are rather high... (If you know someone from US, it might be cheaper...)

Florian

Hi choochoomike

Thanks a lot. I think i'll order one and i of course will give a feedback about.

:)
Lets hope its going to be a good one... :-\

Florian

ps: There are different thread types available... I'll order a 12*1 threaded chuck because i already own an adapter with this thread from my former (very bad) chuck.

Thanks for the advice Florian. I'll have to shop around and find a low price in the US. has a few friends in the US who will be happy to ship it over the pond!

I wont have to pay the extra VAT and the extra £8 Royal Mail charge for paying the tax on your behalf - more money to spend on machine tools then!

Alan

I also have a friend living in the us.. 8)

So i don't have to pay any of these taxes; just like you :)

Can I ask which supplier you were going to order your one from too? :D

I normally use Little Machine Shop, but they don't seem to do much Sherline stuff. :(

I'll ask my friend to order..

Where from.. i will see (not all of the shops have all the thread versions of the chuck i want)
But you can find a list of dealers on the sherline homepage (just ad a "dot com" to the name)

Florian

Florian said:
I'll order a 12*1 threaded chuck because i already own an adapter with this thread from my former (very bad) chuck.

Just a wild thought ....... ::) ........... but apart from the chuck being out of line ....... have you checked the "run out" of the adapter ???

Dave

I have a sherline 3 jaw which seems to have aluminium bolt on jaws? I don't like it because it doesnt get tight enough with the twist type clamping mechanism. (insert two 3/16 rods (that bend..) and turn them opposite directions to tighten?)

Eric

You can buy a set of optional Soft Aluminium Jaws for the Sherline chuck. It comes with a set of hardened steel jaws which should give more purchase but I agree that you can't get much holding force using the two tommy bars.

Alan

CrewCab said:
Just a wild thought ....... ::) ........... but apart from the chuck being out of line ....... have you checked the "run out" of the adapter ???

Dave

Yes, i have checked the adapter and it definitely was the chuck.
But I already knew before because everey time i clamped the rod again, the runout was different:
Position of the maximum value had changed as well as the maximum runout.

So this was clearly not the problem of the adapter.

These Bison-Chucks look very good, I have to think about.. (didn't buy a sherline chuck yet)

Has anyone a review for these bison-chucks ?

Florian

The lubrication on my Elliott Juniormil is via oil nipples ie small buttons that have the oil hole sealed off by sprung ball bearings

Is there a special tool to use with these to get the oil in? At the moment I'm pushing the ball bearing in with a small nail and then squirting oil at it with a can, but most of the oil just drips down the front ! Did consider trying a syringe but think the needle may break and a search on google for oil & nipples opens up a whole world ::)

Any pointers on the best method for getting the oil where I want it much appreciated

Cheers

Jim

Back