Scrounging day success

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
Had a good two days of scrounging this week. I managed to score about 150 pounds of primo aluminum pistons from 5 and 6 inch bore hydraulic cylinders. All nicely center bored so that I can easily fit them on my 5 inch chuck. Excellent stuff for making larger flywheels. One of the 6 inch pistons is cast iron and another is cold rolled steel. Heavy suckers, 5 inches thick. Cost... my labor to load it all on my truck.

Then I managed to find a 4 ft piece of 4 inch 1/8 inch wall seamless copper tube which is just right for future boiler projects and an 8 ft. piece of round extruded aluminum with T slots all around it. Not sure what I'll do with it, but it was just too nice to leave.

I stopped by a machine shop not far from here and the guy let me rummage through his aluminum drops and stock ends. I scored another 60 pounds of good clean usable stock, including 3 perfect slabs of 6 inch diameter aluminum round stock for making tops for my rotary table project. Also scored a piece of 6 inch cold rolled round that will make a great face plate. Gotta love guys who won't take your money.

On the way home, I dropped in on a recently opened scrap yard and they let me wander around the place looking for things I might want. 15 pounds of turned bearing bronze and some small brass flat bar drops were added to the load in back of the truck.

Total expenditure for two days... $65.00
Having enough stock to get through the winter... Priceless!!...LOL

Now, I'll have to make something before I have room for more metal...LOL. I still need to find a bit of steel and cast iron is tough to find, but for now I'm stocked and stoked.

Steve

Now that is a score and a half. If you run out of storage I will help you out.

Kenny

I've often heard the phrase:
"Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."
That's one big bear you bagged there Steve!
Great score!

Rick

Latest posts

Back