Scratch built mini traction engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1964

Reaction score
Almost done.

Inspired by LS Loc mini traction engine, following lines of Mamod Te1.

Functional steering and hinged/opening smoke-box door.

Cheers

DSCN2267.JPG

DSCN2269.JPG

DSCN2271.JPG

This is insane! Don't suppose you have a build log?

I’m with oneKone, I like it! How are you firing it, and can we have a peek at the boiler inside the firebox?

Thanks all.

No build log, sorry. I had planned to take some pictures of all the parts before assembly but forgot all about it until it was to late.

Will try and get a better shot inside door, please understand the door is tiny.

Scuttle holds meth for wick burner.

Dave

DSCN2273.JPG

DSCN2276.JPG

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Wheelbase 60mm
Height 70mm
Width 55mm
Overall length with scuttle 99mm

I have steamed it up and given it a short run. Will get a vid done as soon as i sort out a small issue with burner. Either the wicks are to tight or feed pipe is to small, i think it is the later. Will try and fix it today.

Dave

Have not had a chance to sort out teething issue. Here is a short poor quality vid to show it does run. Will post something better asap.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw88O9nTxXI&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw88O9nTxXI&feature=youtu.be[/ame]
Dave

Smallest steam engine I know is this one. Made by David Bramall - of Yorkshire. (They like to use the least amount of "brass" that they can!).
The cigarette lighter gives the scale... ~2 1/2in long? Bigger than the boiler! The gas tank and burner is on the left of the boiler and engine. The flame is about 1/2in long... and stays lit for 5 mins inside the boiler firetube. Just long enough to use almost all the water from the boiler... He made about 20 nozzles before getting the burner to work successfully...
The engine is a double acting, piston valve, single cylinder.
Sorry about the poor quality photo...
K2
Smallest steam plant.JPG

And my version, "High mountains are for those who want to challenge themselves more than I. I am happy to wander over my "small hills", and try to understand the views I see. Knowing there are "higher mountains" simply leaves me in awe of those who climb them, knowing that, like Nirvana, I shall not be there".
Enjoy your climbing.... and keep on telling us tales of your journeys to heights. The best story-tellers always leave their audiences in awe of their experiences.
Thankyou.
K2

Latest posts

Back