Scaling of LTD Sterling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodbuilder

Reaction score
Could a LTD Sterling be scaled up? I would like to scale it 2X normal size, would this work out or is there something special rule that would not allow that in the LTD.

rodbuilder said:
Could a LTD Sterling be scaled up? I would like to scale it 2X normal size, would this work out or is there something special rule that would not allow that in the LTD.

I have seen a few examples at Mod Eng shows, apparently 2/ 3 times the std size, & all worked very nicely on a small light bulb.

I can't think of any particular reason why it wouldn't work, although I'm no expert. Successfully scaling down is hard, as you have less power output to work with. I've seen a half-size version of Jerry Howell's "Miser," which apparently was a real challenge to get to work, but making one bigger shouldn't be a problem.

There are casting kits available for the Rider-Ericsson hot air engine in at least 3 sizes, so I don't think there is any magic about a particular size.

I once asked Jerry if his engines could be scaled up or down like you ask, and he said they could be.

I still have a question about scaling a Ringbom, however. If the displacer is doubled in diameter, its weight will be eight times as heavy; but, the piston that operates the displacer will only have twice the area.

Regards,

Orrin

Thanks guys I think I may have a go at scaling one will have to do some dimension and drawing work first.

Latest posts

Back