scale paddle steamers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcfreak177

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anybody has taken up the challenge of reproducing a scale model paddle steam boat. I have always had a fascination for these type of river boat and would like to learn more.

Barry.

Hi Barry,
About 10 years ago I built this one. It was modeled after an Army Engineers boat that worked the Missouri river from the 30's and 40's. I only had a photo to work from but made a set of drawings for it and built it. It is made from Basswood, Maple, plastic and brass. Originally I was going to make it RC but it got too complicated trying to make removable covers to get to all the radio equipment and motors so I went for a scale model. It's about 38 inches long. If you go to this link you can see more pictures of it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v43/gbritnell/SuterSternwheeler/

DSC00008.jpg

gbritnell

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of other projects on the go at the moment, Some time next year I would like to have a go at building one of these pieces of history, mainly sourcing ideas at the moment.

gbritnell: thanks for the picture, that is an absolute masterpiece, much appreciated.

Rob: nice thread you have going there, I see home foundry is going well. I know little about the smelting and casting process, (Well maybe the odd lead spoon or bean sinker)
I do have about 30 -40 kg of ali I would like to melt down and cast my V8 engine blocks some time, I am sure I will have many questions for you in the future.

Peter: Paddle ducks UK is quite interesting, seems to be great history there, I do believe that steamers were a valuable piece of equipment in the 1700's commonly used for transport of equipment for the building of the world we live in today.
It would be a shame to see them forgotten in future generations.

Regards Barry ;)

Barry,

Once you get into it, you will find Paddleducks the biggest resource for model paddlers from the Australian continent. Plus you will be able to get a lot of info on the full size ones as well, as a lot of the Aussie modellers work on the full size ones as well.

Unlike paddle boats from other areas of the world, the Australian ones sometimes used to use their side paddles for climbing over sandbars as the rivers dried up. They really are a type all of their own.

Just enter a few navigable Australian river names into the main search box and see what comes up.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
Just enter a few navigable Australian river names into the main search box and see what comes up.

Bogs

Or an excellent reference is "Ships of the Inland Rivers" by Ronald Parsons ISBN 0 947284 34 6

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back