Scale miniature lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariolucchini

Reaction score
After much looking the PMR lathe, both the wonderful builds here in this forum and in other web sites, I decided to take the plunge and scratchbuild a freelance version of it...
As I have no chance of getting the PMR castings, I started making a scale set of drawings in Autocad and began using some very unusual series of materials....

Most parts of the lathe's body are made from different thicknesses of acrylic plate which is more than sturdy for this project....

I made the drawings of certain parts so as to simulate the "cast look" found in those old lathes....I'm using fillets and chamfers to achieve that goal....

The tailstock body with the first primer coats... the whole tailstock body is made from acrylic plate, except the barrel for the spindle which was turned from aluminium...

PC200005.jpg

PC200007.jpg

PC200009.jpg

The tailstock mechanism.......

From left to right, first row, the fixing plate's nuts and washers, the locating threaded pin, the lever, the spindle guide and locking device and a center....

Second row, the fixing plate and the spindle body...(Threaded inside 3 mm left hand)...

Third row, the spindle's threaded mainscrew, threaded 3 mm left hand and 2 mm right hand to receive the handwheel, the fixing collar, and finally the handwheel turned & milled from brass, with the fixing nut....

PC200003.jpg

The lathe's bed made in heavy acrylic plate, the bed ways from K&S rectangular brass tubing....

PC180040.jpg

PC180039.jpg

The headstock "casting" in the raw, you can see the acrylic material here....the headstock's axle is 3 mm diameter drill rod and it rotates in ball bearings taken from discarded PC fans.....3mm inside dia., 8 mm outside dia. and 4 mm thick....

PC180050.jpg

PC180049.jpg

PC180045.jpg

And to finish this already long and boring post, the faceplate, turned and milled from brass.....I did some delicate grinding on a Dremel mini-saw to make the "T nut" channels, it came out fine for my tastes, hee, hee... :big:.......

PC180054.jpg

PC180055.jpg

PC180057.jpg

PC180056.jpg

To be continued....

Mario

looking good mario. :eek: :eek: :eek:

i will be watching this build.
i have thought about building a scale model of my 9" south bend lathe, but i never seam to have the time.

chuck

Thanks Chuck!

I've always loved the South Bend lathes....maybe if you can mail me pics and drawings I would be tempted to make that scale miniature of your lathe... :big:

Who knows?

Cheers

Mario

Nice going Mario.

Now Thats using what you've got. Nice work!

I'll be watching this also.

Ron

Ok, that is amazing Mario!

I'll be following this. Cannot wait to see the finished model.

Always a pleasure to see someone make something from just whatever materials are a hand.

Some late hour updates..... ::)

The spindle nose, made from a 5 mm Allen bolt, drilled and reamed 3 mm....mounted on the headtock's axis and faced in the collet chuck....maximum concentricity, when you get to this point, you begin to go berserk!!!

PC180053.jpg

The feet, made in acrylic plate and some scrap styrene sheets to get the double curvature, lots of sanding and a very acceptable result.....these are the moves that gets you that "Old look"...

PC180042.jpg

PC180041.jpg

I'm using a 12 Volt high torque motor used in servos for RC aeromodels to drive this little animal.....alas, the motor itself does'nt have the "Look", so I'm devising a motor sleeve made from acrylic and a PVC flange to look more "Scale like"...

PC230033.jpg

PC230035.jpg

PC230034.jpg

PC230031.jpg

PC230032.jpg

The faceplate and the main drive step pulley...

PC180058.jpg

The main leadscrew, threaded 3 mm left hand, an 2 mm right hand to receive the handwheel....note the supporting flanges made in acrylic, but sleeved in brass, the oilers are in place....

PC230012.jpg

PC230011.jpg

PC230010.jpg

The mainscrew handwheel....

PC180063.jpg

Think I'm gonna get some sleep....

Thanks for your comments and for looking....

Cheers!

Mario

Hi Mario,

Really looking great! Amazing work you are doing there. Are you using CNC? I will be following with great interest, keep the progress coming!

Regards Jeroen

Hey Jeroen.....!

Thanks much for your comments, and no, I'm not using CNC.....I'm from the old school in which everything is done by hand, including the mistakes!!.... :big:

Cheers

Mario

Some testing of the lathe bed on top of the sub - tables and feet.....making adjustments.... ???

PC270036.jpg

PC270037.jpg

The feet are bolted to the wooden base, which was lovingly sanded and treated with some hand rubbed Tung oil....in my modest opinion, the best treatment you can give to wood....

http://i
104.photobucket.com/albums/m164/mariolucchini/PM%20Lathe/PC270038.jpg

The feet are reinforced with a 2 mm dia. steel bar, with scale hardware (Nuts & flanges), so you can regulate the tension.....this, along with the bolted feet achieved a surprisingly stiffness of the ensemble...

PC270042.jpg

You can also see the main leadscrew and its fixing flanges in place...

PC270041-1.jpg

PC270040.jpg

PC270039-1.jpg

I'm using 1 mm Allen bolts, 00-90 and 00-80 brass bolts for every sub-assembly....glue is used very sparingly.....this has the big advantage of being able to dissassemble everything for painting and fixing boo-boo's.... :eek:

Next step is trying to solve the transmission via gears..............

See ya....

Mario

WHOA..... th_wav

That is nice work.

You have a very good skill in working with a variety of materials.

Keep up the great work.

Wow, that is coming along very nicely! Inspirational it is

Lee

Great work for not using CNC! I think I am too impatient to make these kind of shapes by hand. Its really coming along nicely and in my opinion its looks better then a set of castings!

Regards Jeroen

You are doing a very good work, Mario. A small old lathe built from scrap is on my "to-do" list, so I'm following with great interest. Thanks for sharing it.

Roberto

Thanks boys for your kind comments....this makes me go farther ahead pushing the envelope!... :big:

The motor casing brackets, which will carry the countershaft bracket as well...

PC180069.jpg

PC180068.jpg

PC180066.jpg

PC180065.jpg

The motor inside its casing.....I tested it for one hour at 12 Volts with no apparent heating.....that's a relief!... :D

PC180072.jpg

The countershaft brackett....

PC180048.jpg

PC180047.jpg

The bed already painted & polished, with all the reinforcing scale hardware....

P1060036.jpg

P1060037.jpg

PM%20Lathe

P1060038.jpg

P1060040.jpg

Some of the lathe's body parts, painted, waiting for final polishing...

P1060042.jpg

Find attached a back view drawing of the lathe in Autocad (PDF version), showing the tranmission gears....

To be continued....

Mario

View attachment Miniature lathe back view.pdf

Very nice scratch build. I will have to try one of these in the future, I have a very old Young lathe that needs restoration a scale version might be fun.

If you need 1mm scale hex head bolts Scale Hardware has them.

Dan

We continue with the already painted & polished countershaft bracket and the motor brackets....

The motor brackets....

P1090008.jpg

P1090007.jpg

The countershaft bracket with the complete countershaft in place...

P1090001.jpg

P1090002.jpg

Rolling happily under finger power.....

P1090003.jpg

P1090004.jpg

The motor & countershaft assembly in place in the lathe's bed..............please notice the fake oilers (No need of oilers since I'm using shielded ball bearings, it's just for scale appearences).... :big:

P1120002.jpg

P1120001.jpg

P1120003.jpg

P1120004.jpg

P1120005.jpg

P1120007.jpg

P1120010.jpg

And here going fast under 12 Volt power.....

P1120013-1.jpg

P1120014.jpg

Thanks for looking and cheers to all....

Mario

Back