Rupnow Klockwork and Jacob ladder projects

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnbikes

Reaction score
So I decided to try and build these two projects. Being a sheet metal guy I cut them on a laser and will ream the holes on the mill.

My question is: The only aluminum drop material I had available to me was some stuff that was scratched up. So I sanded the parts but am curious what primer/paint I should use so it will stick to the parts? Have been told that paint will not stick to Aluminum well. Would have it powder coated but that is not in the budget.

Thanks,
Jon

Well, the airplane guys seem to use zinc chromate primer. It was/is available in fizzle cans. Haven't seen any for awhile, but haven't looked for any either. Let us know what you find.

TC

I always use etch primer on Aluminium

As soon as the oxide skin on aluminium is scratched or cut, then a new oxide layer is formed within seconds.

Jason is perfectly correct in suggesting an etch primer, that is one of the few things that can etch into the oxide layer and form a good bond to allow paint to stick to it.

John

Zinc chromate primer was the old method, and still works good if you can find it in spray cans. I'd love to see some pictures of your work.---Brian

Not the best pictures but what I have at the moment.

I changed your ladder design to .125 aluminum walls and spacers to width for outside frame and center lift pieces.

Jon

cut.jpg

cutclock.jpg

Probably going to make both hand cranked for now as all I have to power them is hot air engines and neither are powerful to run them.

Back