my start on a Kant Twist clamp set

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work. I wonder if a pair made from plywood would be useable? Maybe there is an epoxy like finish I could use to strengthen it. I'm working on a MPCNC routing/engraving table, just about to install and wire the spindle...
Chuck
Do a search on the WEST (Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique) system used in boat building. If applicable, that'll give you all the strength enhancement.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Ibuildit is a great site. The guy running it is very innovative to say the least.

As for the clamps themselves, they could be built out of anything. Aluminum, or stainless sheet is possible and i suspect on could do the clamps out if fiberglass or carbon fiber. The structure of the clamps is mechanically sound in most materials.
theres a guy on the internet making them from plywood gives downloadable templates for the plywood version. they are large, he is using for woodworking

https://ibuildit.ca/projects/wooden-kant-twist-clamp/

I ended up breaking off a m4 tap in the stainless steel. had to wait until Monday to get another one. I had some ferric chloride from etching circuit boards so I decided to plop that piece of stainless steel with the broken tap in it to see if it will eat it out or ruin it.

so I never reportred back on ferric chloride vs stainless / broken tap. reason being is I forgot about it and left it in the jar for about 3 weeks. anyway last night I remembered and pulled it out, cleaned it up and in the hole it looked like the tap was still there with the 4 flutes of the tap still visable but it was black as tar. so I grabed my center punch thinking I was going to punch it out, to my surprise it was turned to mush. the shape of the tap was still there but its consistency was like gum or playdough, it pushed right out in a goo. the stainless part was discolored, partially coated with copper (because it was used ferric chloride etching copper circuit boards). but after wiping and rubbing for a bit it the copper came off and the stainless was sort of white looking. then took a little fine steel wool to clean some more and the part shined back up like a polished piece of stainless it was to begin with. didn't hurt the threads or damage the stainless steel at all and turned the hss tap into goo. I was amazed that the shape of the goo was still in the shape of the tap but just touching it with the punch and it just oozed out the other end.

wonder if this stuff will eat aluminum? I know it will copper so I assume brass to and I know it will eat regular steel and hss now as well.

to bad my cross drill in the part was so off center to begin with that now I figured out the problem with my vice moving that I will trash the part anyway.

Sounds like something i would do. That is set something on the shelf and forget about it for 3 weeks.

As for the goo probably not everything was attackable by the etching solution. In any event im glad it worked for you, i will need to keep this idea in the back of my mind.

Back