running a 14volt dc motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZipSnipe

Reaction score
Ok I am replicating TroyO's hand drill motor power feed mod. I have taken my 14 volt drill motor out of its casing. My question is can I power it with a 12volt 3.5 amp power supply?

12V is fine. The question is will 3.5A be enough to move the table. Probably. If the power supply has over current protection, just try it. If it doesn't, measure the current to see what it uses.

Greg

Ok I am replicating TroyO's hand drill motor power feed mod. I have taken my 14 volt drill motor out of its casing. My question is can I power it with a 12volt 3.5 amp power supply?

Just wire it up with an amp meter (eg. multimeter) in series and run it under no load and measure the current draw. Then keep clicking the ratchet up and hold the chuck so it stalls and measure the current while the ratchet is active. Work your up the ratchet settings and record the current in amps. If you get to a setting that the power supply can't handle, just remember to use a ratchet setting below this level in your power feed unless you upgrade the power supply.

I bought a couple of 12v and 18volt power supplies at a garage sale on the weekend, that give 7 amps and 16 amps respectivly, according to the data plates. They came off of a really old computer and an old Sony Playstation or Nintendo video game thing.

Hi,

A source of a bigger power supply would be a lead acid battery charger. These typically supply 13.8v dc. Use one of the older type that do not have electronics that charge the battery at different rates.

Tony

Well I take that back upon closer inspection of the wall wart it is a 20v 3.5 amp not 12v. So would I be ok with that? the controller is rated to 36 volt

Well I take that back upon closer inspection of the wall wart it is a 20v 3.5 amp not 12v. So would I be ok with that? the controller is rated to 36 volt

Probably OK. The unregulated charger that came with my 14.4 volt drill puts out 26 volts and it says 15 volts on the plate. You could put in a regulator to step the power down. This one handles 5 amps but you will need to add a couple of components to set it to the voltage you want and it will need a heatsink. Read the datasheet for details on how to wire it in.

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-voltage-regulators/0460900/

I was thinking of using one of these to step 18.5 volts back to 14.4 volts when I do one of these. There are some other types that are fixed voltage so you don't need any other external components and these work well but they don't handle more than 1 amp.

Latest posts

Back