Root & Vanderoot Vertical

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes honey he REALLY does need another set of castings. ;D I don't know anything about Rocky's but that is one fine looking engine, of course don't they ALL look mouth watering in the sales photos? ::) It's funny, in the castings photo it appears they are showing one bronze FW and one CI casting. The rest appear to be AL. I do like the water chilling tower. Go for it Tony, God hates a coward. :big:

BC1

I don't have any experience with this particular engine. However, I will say that the castings look well made, and there is a good amount of them! The kit looks very detailed and even comes with a decal. Looks to me like you found your next project! All you need to do is overcome what ever minor (if any) issue is holding up your purchase!

-MB

BC1,
You can get the cast iron fly's or the bronze ones for $30 more. I guess it's time to "man up" and "go for the gusto" :big: That's a pretty big engine 9" FW and all the plumbing and the little gizzmo's make it a beauty ;D
Tony

MB,
Yes, it does look good. To good to be true? I guess that's why I'm asking.
Tony

cobra428 said:
MB,
Yes, it does look good. To good to be true? I guess that's why I'm asking.
Tony

You could inquire about the sellers return policy, just in case.

I bought a set of poor quality engine castings that included a cylinder casting with deep shrink cracks. The cylinder was replaced but not my interest in machining this turd. I happened to look in the box the other day to see if I could stomach building it. Nope, I just can't do it. The person that cast and passed off these parts did not deserve my support. However, a good flogging might be in order! :big:

Edit: If you were to see the castings :mad: you would probably agree with the idea of a good flogging.

-MB

MB,
I have not gotten a bad set of castings yet in the hobby. PMR1,3, Coles H/M and Myers R-E (avatar). But you never know if that set is waiting for you. So, I'm going to give it a few days to see if anybody has something to say about it. And, I will take your advice and ask about the return policy (thanks). After all tomorrow is payday!!
Tony

Public floggings! YES. I love to watch a good flogging! th_wav Can you tell I don't have WWF smackdown on cable? ;D OK, let's all do the "dawg bark" for Tony. Go Tony....... hey you gauys aren't barking....C'mon, he needs all of the encouragement we can muster him :big:

BC1

BC1
WOW, you really want to see that build don't you? stickpoke I keep looking at it on the web and my brain say no but my heart is saying yes, yes, yes. :big: My brain says Tony you have so many engines to build why do you want this one so bad? This is a terrible addictive hobby like one guy here said " I've got to live to 150 to build all the stuff I want". Me, I've got to live to 250!!!
Tony

There we go, we got one rabid fan going! Tony, I am sorry, it is ALWAYS easier to spend someone else's hard earned quids than it is to part with ones own. ;D ;D That would make a beautiful model for the mrs. Or perhaps an anniversary present Rof} Naw, on second thought, scratch that, it could create a rift in the space/time continuum such that the world has never before seen :fan: It could create a situation from which there is no turning back! :toilet: Aw, what the heck, stickpoke you only go around once in life. 8)

Best regards

BC1

BC1 and tel
You guys are a real hoot (that's the only word that would get by on this site) I've got to kick this one around a bit. You know, this will cost me about 5 pairs of shoes too! It's time to leave work for home now but I need to scratch.gif
Tony

I've met Rocky Rockwell at GEARS and he is a real gentleman. He had the castings for his engines on show and also engines made up. If you like the design, you would not be disappointed with the quality of his castings. He will also offer help should you hit a snag.

Go for it!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I have emailed him and we had a couple of back and forths and you are right he does sound genuine. My problem is I guess I dream to much. I want to build every engine of every kind there ever was. I have a big project I've working on for a year off and on and chickening out on. So instead of working my way thru it I look for something else to build that is easier. Or so I think!
IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

So honey you really don't need another set of castings :big: You just got to face the music and dance
So stay tuned for the rest of the build on this Wright Whirlwind J5
Tony

th_confused0052 Egads man! That one would scare the bejesus out of any wanker I know of. I've always marveled at those multi- radials. I take my hat off to you sir. :bow:

BC1

WOWeeee :bow:

Your Whirlwind build looks GREAT so far !!!

If you don't mind: How much time have you spent on it till now ?

Arnold

Cobra,
I bought a set of the R&V castings form Rocky and they are very well made and a lot of them. Then I did a dumb thing and bid on a started kit that some one wanted to get rid of and won. so now I have to R&V 4 hp kits to work on. If I am not mistaken if you screw up on a part you can purchase just the one casting from Rocky.

Arnoldb I ave about 6 mons. of nights and weekends involved
Gordo thats good to know thanks
Tony

Back