Rocking Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maryak said:
Stew,

Very nice. :bow: :bow:

But................ where were you going. ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Bob I was going for me dinner. :big:

Thanks for your kind comments Chaps seemed to infected you good and proper with this one.

Got Rocky 2 running its better than Rocky 1 doesn't seem as sensitive to pressure turn the pressure up to full and it fairly buzes along. Took a vid of the two running together but can't seem to get it to down load to Youtube give it one more try tonight then I'll give it up as a bad job. Any way I've got to get on with my long Term Project a 3 1/2" gauge loco, I do these little engines as way of a change and to recharge my batteries.

That bring me to a question for Mr Moderator Model Railway Engine build are bit outside this Forums scope, but would it be OK just to post the ocational progress report in Work In Progress nothing too heavy somthing along the lines of this is where I'm up to.say every couple of months.

100_2136.jpg

her's a shot of the losly assemble cylinders as way of a taster.

Stew

SBWHART said:
Any way I've got to get on with my long Term Project a 3 1/2" gauge loco, I do these little engines as way of a change and to recharge my batteries.

That bring me to a question for Mr Moderator Model Railway Engine build are bit outside this Forums scope, but would it be OK just to post the ocational progress report in Work In Progress nothing too heavy somthing along the lines of this is where I'm up to.say every couple of months.
Ah, man, POST that beastie! It's right in line with this forum. If they put up with my sloppy little Cracker build, they'll LOVE a real locomotive. I know I will. ;D

Hi Chaps

I'd just like to say a big thanks for you're comments and joining in, isn't the net wonderful for bringing people together, and a big thanks to you guys who run sites like this.

I've been trying for the last two days to download a vid of the two engines running together but I keep losing the link I've tried shortening vid time, loading via a PC and a mac but no good so I'm giving up that particular quest.

So I'd thought I'd show you my rocker scrap

IMG_1961.jpg

OK I've showed you mine now you show me yours :big:

Have fun

Stew

Only 2 for me, and I remade the one. Threaded the end of the inlet tube 6-32, and when I drilled the through hole, cut into the minor diameter of the threads (duh!). Refaced the end, and then cut the threads 8-32. The other was the shaft, which I tried to make out of drill rod, and broke the tap off in the end. Remade in brass, and all was well.

For me, it was quite a remarkable feat to not make every part 2 or 3 times. I took a lot more care on these parts, but as a result I spent a lot of time checking and rechecking.

Shucks, now I feel a little left out... All my scrap is on the engine; didn't have to remake a single part. Only booboo I had was that my axle was turned a bit short - fixed that by shortening the bush a bit on some sandpaper :big:

Regards, Arnold

Ya know guys witth a bunch of us building an engine at the same time like this this could bring a whole new meaning to engine/project of the month!!
Tin

rleete said:
There goes your newbie status... ;D
Wouldn't say that yet - I think I just got terribly lucky for a change! Rof};

Tin Falcon said:
Ya know guys witth a bunch of us building an engine at the same time like this this could bring a whole new meaning to engine/project of the month!!
Tin
Tin, can't do that; it would detract from the good ones ;) - Maybe call it "Newbie Challenge of the month" ?

Arnold:
the whole point of the engine /project of the month is to inspire others to build engines/ projects . I would say that this little bugger has done that. You have built your first engine .That is an accomplishment . It has inspired me to get off my but and machine engine parts again. although I am an experienced builder it has been two years since I completed a running engine. If I have these two done by next weekend I will be a happy camper. I feel this whole hobby is about inspiring others. Stew has greatly inspired you fozzer and I and likely others to build and engine. When I am at a show And I see a kid grab dad by the hand and say lets go home and build one of those (referring to an engine on my display). It absolutely makes my day !!! And if an adult says he or she want a set of plans to mke onethat is cool too.Stew has done that.
Beyond that is what I mean is that this engine is a project that several are doing this month ie "project of the month" I do see a similar theme with the crackers threads popping up also.
Tin

Tin, put like that it makes perfect sense - you are right :bow: :bow: ; I didn't think that far.
Kind Regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back