Ridley's Half Beam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
With the eccentric finished and installed, the half beam is getting very close - just the slide valve and nut to make and then the 'proper' assembly. Then it will be back on to the badly neglected double diagonal.

Hi Tel,
Great looking work on your engine. It looks to be quite a fair sized engine. What is the diameter of the flywheel?
gbritnell

Very Nice Tel
That does look like a "big boy"
Tony

Tel

Another fine-looking job of work. :bow: Can we expect the video soon? ;D

Cheers, Joe

That's really lovely, Tel. Someday I hope to do work like that.

Very nice Tel. Lots of detail to love.
Gail in NM

Thanks blokes - it's probably not as big as it looks - flywheel is around 6 1/2 dia, roughly 3/4 bore & 1 1/2 stroke.

Cracking job Tel 8) ....... it does look bigger for some reason :eek:

CC :bow:

To give you an idea, the bulk of the fasteners are 8 and 10 BA

tel said:
To give you an idea, the bulk of the fasteners are 8 and 10 BA

Excellent job tel well done :bow:

I must agree tho that It is deceptive that wheel looks HUGE,
I am surprised Zee has not asked for coins in the picture for scale ;)

can we see it running please

regards
Andy

GREAT JOB Tel :bow: :bow: :bow: very nice work Thm:

Regards Rob

Tel,

Flash as a Rat with a Gold Tooth. :bow: :bow:

It's great that one of us can hold a candle to the top class stuff shown herein.

Best Regards
Bob

PhiberOptix said:
I am surprised Zee has not asked for coins in the picture for scale ;)
Andy

Only cause I haven't been able to get to it. :big: New grandchild for one...and I've been causing a bit of 'trouble' in another thread. :big: :big:

But I'm free now and thanks for the reminder...Scale please! ;D (Now I have to be careful. Soon as I ever forget to include scale...hoo boy. :big:)

Beautiful job Tel. I'm curious about the 'support'? with the cross braces? Can you tell me a little about how you made that?

I have to echo a lot of comments here. Beam engines are one of my favorites.

That's beautiful work, Tel!

Plans are from Australian Model Engineering Magazine, Nov - Dec 08 to Jul - Aug 09 Issues (141 -145). See http://www.ameng.com.au/ for more details.

Was considering building one myself, but I must concentrate on the big picture (Super Simplex) and stop getting distracted (rockeritis ;D).

Gordon

Thanks for the kind comments blokes.

Zee - the rocking column was fabricated from mild steel strips - the horizontal members and the top and bottom bushes were silver soldered in, then the diagonals soft soldered in place - they are notched in the centre to allow 'em to fit together. Then the middle bit of the top bush was cut away to allow the beam to fit in. I've done quite a few minor changes along the way as I was not completely happy with the author's way of doing things.

Today I made the slide valve and took a good few pics as I went along, so if anyone is interested ....

rockingt column.jpg

Very nicely done Tel :bow: :bow:

And of course we're interested !

Regards, Arnold

Ah...I suspected silver solder. Hear that Vernon?

As I said...very nice work Tel. Thanks for sharing.

Back