Removing Rust from Steel Boilers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineering

Reaction score

I've now got the Boiler for my 71/4 Gauge Loco at home and every time I turn it over, a cascade of rusty dust comes out.

This will need to be removed before Boiler Testing time.

So . . . Does anyone have any experience with De-Rusting and De-Scaling the inside of a Steel Boiler Huh???

Murray.

Two words

Citric Acid

Another 7

Lightly scaled 10% solution in hot water.

Plus 3

Before next inspection

Final 5

20% solution in hot water

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Citric Acid
Lightly scaled 10% solution in hot water.
Before next inspection
20% solution in hot water
Hope this helps
Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll have a crack at that when I get to the boiler stage.

Murray.

when using the boiler it might also be of benefit to add a SMALL amount of sodium bicarbonate. This will maintain an alkaline PH in the water and help prevent acidic corrosion. It was a common additive in boilers in the past.(Not sure what they use or how they do it these days). Once added you shouldn't have to add more until you change out the water. Also dissolved oxygen in the boiler water can 'rust' the steel very quickly. Boiling water you intend to use in the boiler will drive off any dissolved gases, if you keep it in sealed container to prevent air from going back into solution it can be done many days or weeks before it is needed.

Phosphoric acid is also said to be a good alternative. I use it for disinfecting the brewery, on the bottle it says to use 30-40mL for 5L water when converting rust, acid concentration is 85%.

It is also the reason why coca cola works for rust removal :)

kherseth said:
It is also the reason why coca cola works for rust removal :)

So I should be running it on Coke instead of Water perhaps :big:

Thanks for the help guys.

Murray.

Finally gotten back to this Boiler and found that there is 150mm of something, (another Club member thinks FlueBrush), stuck in one of the Flues about 150mm from the FireBox end.

Obvious question, How to remove????

Obvious Answers . . . . ???????

Latest posts

Back