ready to learn

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny

Reaction score
I purchased a new JET Machinist lath, but I have no experience or training on how to use it. I want to make some parts for my 1851 Navy Colt pistol from brass. Is there anyone out there that can help me to learn.

I am in south Arlington, south of I-20 near Bowen Road

Well, on first check, there is an Arlington in TN, VA, and Texas, and I20 goes from Carolina to Louisiana. Not trying to be a smart ass, but can we have a state?

Chuck

I'm disappointed that there has been no other responses to your query, I expected more from this group. Google "How to Run A Lathe", that's a South Bend publication from years ago. It can be purchased for a few bucks, but I'm sure you can find a free download of it. Let me know if you can't find it.
I bought a 7x14 lathe in 2001, never having touched a lathe before. Bear in mind, I'm not a lathe wizard by any means, but I get on o.k.
There are other good pubs out there. Best way is to find someone near you to mentor you, though it's not impossible to learn on your own. Many hobbyists have, myself included.
I'll pm you a list of other hobby machinist sites.
Chuck

Gunny,
For all intents and purposes, the best way to learn is by having hands on experience provided by someone else, that is, find someone local (if possible) and get round there and see how they operate. It doesn't matter what lathe they have as all you need in the beginning are the basics, how to set the job up, and what sorts of tooling are required for the materials you are working with.
I know this because I used to have an open workshop, where anyone could book a time and date and they could have a few hours instruction for nothing. Believe me, there is nothing worse than trying to learn off a forum or by email, too many conflicting arguments and long drawn out replies that are difficult to understand unless you have a bit of hands on experience.
I know, I taught a chap to machine purely by email and phone, and it took me nearly three years to get him accomplished and confident, and I was having to reply to sometimes as many as 20 emails a day. I only met him after all the training was finished. If he was in a position to travel to me, I reckon a good months' training would have achieved the same result.

John

This may or may not be helpful, but there is a chance that a community college, vocational school or high school has a course available for a nominal cost. Unfortunately, I'm here in Arizona and would've been pleased to show you enough rudiments to get you started. Good luck. Your endeavor will return much satisfaction.

Thanks for all of your responses. I am really looking for a local person that can be a mentor. I feel that will be the best way for me to learn. If there is a club in my area, please let me know. Thanks again

Watch you tube videos from mrpete222 has hundreds of videos on basic machining for lathes mills and drills very detailed and easy to understand

Second that! Mr Pete, AKA Lyle Peterson, is a retired High School Shop teacher, and has a mellow way of showing you how to do something without insulting your intelligence. Another good u-tuber is Doubleboost. If you can understand his Yorkshire accent, he shows a lot of good workarounds on some interesting repairs/modifications for all sorts of things.

Gunny, did you get the PM's I sent?

Chuck

Good suggestion Driller. He has a web site and an on line study course at http://www.mrpete222.com

You can find a playlist there also of all his youtube tutorials. He has several and all are informative and worth watching.

Hawk

Well gunny You are a two hour drive from the USAF Machinist school at sheppard AFB . If that helps.
for starters download and read TCTO 9-524

10 Am Next saturday
lathe basics class at the

Dallas Maker space
1825 Monetary Lane
Suite 104
Carrollton, TX 75006

Tin

Back