Radial Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I Know these are not model engines, But thought you might like to
see them anyway.

These where sent to me in an email, and may give you guys some
ideas.

RadialEngine2.jpg

RadialEngine1.jpg

Ken

Are those engines home grown, or are they aircraft engines?

Either way, what magnificent machines.

The gyroscopic effect must make these quite interesting to ride!

Those are actual radial aircraft engines. I have seen pics and stories about the bikes on some of the hotrod websites I hang out on.----Brian

lee9966 said:
The gyroscopic effect must make these quite interesting to ride!

Don't think a radial engine has problems with gyroscopic effect. I think you're thinking of rotary engines where the crankcase and cylinders turn...

Chuck

Er, umm, yeah that's what I was thinking... I think

wonderful machines

cfellows said:
Don't think a radial engine has problems with gyroscopic effect. I think you're thinking of rotary engines where the crankcase and cylinders turn...

Chuck

They look great.. Not exactly the same thing but the boxer engine bikes like most BMW's or my Moto Guzzi that has a crankshaft which is placed parallel to the bike axis ( like the one in the first photo) tend to lean slightly to a side when you open throttle. For the one in the first photo this may be a little more than "slightly"..I heard that some guys stand on two wheels while standing still, only using throttle for balance..I've never seen one or tried it myself :D..

Zeki

zturgut said:
They look great.. Not exactly the same thing but the boxer engine bikes like most BMW's or my Moto Guzzi that has a crankshaft which is placed parallel to the bike axis ( like the one in the first photo) tend to lean slightly to a side when you open throttle. For the one in the first photo this may be a little more than "slightly"..I heard that some guys stand on two wheels while standing still, only using throttle for balance..I've never seen one or tried it myself :D..

Zeki

Yeah - they do that, but the 2 wheels are the main gear and the elevator helps. An old cub with a 65Hp Continental will do it also. If it was one of the mains off the ground it would probably not be flyable...

Latest posts

Back