Quick project - tool knob

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plastic shaft on the wire speed knob for my welder broke off after 5+ years of use, meaning I needed to also replace the cheap potentiometer with a better quality metal one. Needing a knob, I decided to fab one from a bit of aluminum rod. So I turned a 1" spigot in one end of a cutoff from some 1.25" rod, and mounted in the collet chuck. Turned/faced/chamfered as shown:

medium.jpg

Moving the same 5C collet to the hex collet block on the mill, I drilled and tapped a 5-40 hole for a set screw:

medium.jpg

Then with the collet block vertical, I used a 1/4" ballnose mill to create 6 flutes around the perimeter. Finally used a 1/16" endmill to scribe an indicator line on the top:

medium.jpg

Then returned to the lathe to remove the spigot and polish a bit with some scotchbrite. Here's the result on the new potentiometer:

medium.jpg

About 90 minutes start to finish.

That is really neat. Great job.
Really need to look into getting myself a collet chuck haha.

Reactions: gus
Nice work, I love doing projects like this in my shop.

Shawn

Good one. Looks great! This really shows why I love 5C collets. Moving back and forth from the lathe to the mill with the part in one collet certainly makes setups easier and more precise. The 5C chuck is on the lathe 90% of the time.

The new knob kinda makes the welder look a little shabby now kvom! Maybe need to machine a new face plate for it to match! :)

cheers, Ian

Latest posts

Back