QC style toolsposts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcar1

Reaction score
Well now lads, I grew up ??? around a machine shop and all of that time I was witness to the use of 'lantern' or more commonly referred to as 'rocker' style toolposts. Even to this day I use one in my lathe. However, as of late, I have been pondering a change. Yes, all good things must come to an end. My question to you is regarding the QC types of toolposts. What, other than the name tag is the difference between a Aloris and the 'brand X' tool sold by Enco and other retailers? Is it the fitment of the parts, quality of metals used, all of the above, what. I have no exposure to either of these tools so would appreciate any enlightenment that could be offered up. If it is "made in _____ " (you may fill in the third world country of your choice here) I would not have a problem with it as long as it is up to the tasks that a weekend warrior such as myself could throw at it. The costs of the Aloris are a bit alarming th_confused0052 as many of you know, I just want to be able to finally "get off the pot" as it were. So, having said that, let me hear it from the masses of the pros and the cons of these two brands and thank you in advance for your time.

Regards

BC1
Jim

I have a phase II I am very happy with. It came with the standard assortment of tool holders. I buy all my extra tool holders from CDCO.com as they are very cheap less than $10.00 each. I have been happy with the CDCO AXA tool holders other than the set-screws are little soft on them. One of these days I just need to order a box of replacements. I think I am up to 12 or so standard tool holders now.

Dale

Thanks Dale, I am sure that Phase II manufactures a decent product but I am really more interested in how these seemingly identical tool posts stack up to the high dollar units, or for that matter, the lessor priced ones. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what one is paying for that would warrant the higher cost. Again, the materials? the finish? The tolerances? I know that the wedge types are supposedly more rigid, other than that where are the differences. ??? ???

BC1
Jim

QCTP are great i wanted to try and make one but when i got my lathe it was chucked in with it and well i was pleased i have it but haven't tried it as the lathe is sitting on the shop floor for now :p anyway i got it out, looked at it and its not badly machined but the tool holders!!!!!!! yeah they have some marks on them i will forgive that but the little Ally adjustment nut on one of them is rooted!! looks like it was made in a production CNC and the operator didnt notice the blunt drill and wandering tap (i know because i didnt notice it and i got yelled at by the boss :p) yeah ok its an easy fix a good job on the lathe but the price for them here is just BS $50+ Aus for a single tool holder and then i noticed that mine was the bigger $100 Aus!!!!!!!! i have 3 tool holders and the post that would have cost me $800 Aus separately!! it makes me think why?

anyway i dont know if your tooling in the US and around the world is the same price as they are here in Australia but i would have loved to have tried to make one from a kit but make loads of extra tool holders and it can all be done on the lathe ;D

BC!
I am fortunate enough to have a used aloris set. they are great and made in NJ USA. These are professional tools made to last.
If I had to buy new for the home shop I would likely go for a wedge style import as the cost is about 1/4 of the aloris. I have several of the CDCO holder I did have to adjust a little to make tham fir ( A little time on the belt sander. )
I think most of the cost difference is labor. In NJ machine shop cost is likely $50 $60 per hour when you figurure in what the employees get paid plus all the taxes and overhead . in china it is probly just a few bucks I would expect the steel and heat treat is not there but should be sufficient for home shop use.
Tin

I have a piston type AXA QCTP along with a mixture of Aloris and import holders. The main difference I have seen among the holders is that the imports are a bit looser in tolerances of the dovetails. Some that I bought from 800watt on eBay will lock only on one side of the toolpost, while the Aloris holders are good on either side. The main issue with this "problem" is the position of the locking handle in some orientations.

Regardless, I have never had a problem with rigidity once the tools are locked in.

NG,TF, and KV, I thank you for sharing your experiences with these tool posts. I had never considered that the dovetails would not fit well on both sides. I'll have to get my hands on a set of Aloris or Dorian etc. and a set of imports and do a side by side comparison if I can. More than likely the import will meet my requirements, that is unless I find them to be completely junk. I've never had my hands on a set of either and wanted to hear what others that had thought about them.

Thanks again

BC1
Jim

One of my lathes came with a 'like new' AXA Aloris wedge type and two tool holders. I was so impressed with the QCTP over the lantern type that I bought a cheap piston type from Enco. The fit and finish on the Enco model is not up to the Aloris but it works well. I have made a lot of tool holders out of 6061 T6 Aluminum and all the tool holders will work on either tool post. The main difference I see is the position of the locking handle when the tool holder is locked in position. This is most noticeable in the ones I made with less precise dovetails. Quality wise, I expect both will outlive me :(

The aluminum tool holders have been in use for more than ten years and have proved to be adequate for a home shop.

bearcar1 said:
I had never considered that the dovetails would not fit well on both sides.

i second that...... i think i need to check mine next time its out :p thanks Kvom

I have some drawings some where of a quick change I designed and made up.
I made a sets for a few of my friends. If anyone is interested in making their own I'll see if I can round them up.

I use to work in a tooling shop (25 years) at a aerostructures shop. I now work in as a design engineer designing mostly hydraulic mill fixtures using NX6. I'm new to the board was fascinated by the air hit miss motor.
I've built several ic hit miss and steam and atmosphere engines.

Doc

doc1955 said:
I have some drawings some where of a quick change I designed and made up.
I made a sets for a few of my friends. If anyone is interested in making their own I'll see if I can round them up.

I use to work in a tooling shop (25 years) at a aerostructures shop. I now work in as a design engineer designing mostly hydraulic mill fixtures using NX6. I'm new to the board was fascinated by the air hit miss motor.
I've built several ic hit miss and steam and atmosphere engines.

Doc

Doc, thanks for the offer to share. I just joined this forum and am pretty much a noob in the operation of machine tools. No place near me to take a class, so I am looking for projects that will progressively build my skills. A quick change tool post seems like it would be a good one to start with.

Thanks, Dennis

Welcome to the forum Dennis.

I was in the same position last Feb...no machining experience at all...never cut metal.

This forum is the greatest help and reference you can find. Just get in and start swimming. Read everything you can find. Experiment. Many pitfalls...but it's great fun.

Have fun with the mistakes...everyone enjoys mine :big:.

Hey Dennis,

I have a Wedge type AXA of Far Eastern Decent on my Logan

It runs just fine......to Tin's point, it is not up to the Aloris grade, but it works fine.

You can get them pretty cheap these days.......

I ran a Lantern for a long time before I built my first QC.

Check out this thread ....you might find it interesting

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=5153.0

Jump in the water is fine. ;D

Dave

I made my own:
qctp1.jpg

Spot the deliberate mistake?Yeah,right :big:
The post is a lump of unknown steel,while the toolholders are cast iron,from square window sash weights.Pity I don't have any more of those,you can never have enough holders!

one caravat here is I have used the little mini economy QC tool holders sold for the little 7 x lathes . My brother has a set . they are not the same as the Aloris style they are not quick to change and I was ready to throw them.
Any of the name brand Aloris clones of any size should be OK the A2Z cnc the phase II etc.
Also the A2Z are made of aluminum so that is an option for those wanting to make there own for a small lathe.
Tin

Doc, I'll take you up on that offer. Thanks

Ron

Here is a PDF of the toolpost if anyone wants a parasolid or step file let me know.

Latest posts

Back