Q.C.T.P. Mounting Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazz

Reaction score
Just got my new QCTP + 6 tool holders at the post today. Woo Hoo! :) Now the delema, does one modify the existing stock compound (I have already replaced the stock 2 bolt 'clamping plate'? with a 4 bolt 'mod')) to accept the new tool post or, make a custom clamping system?

Useless thoughts: The stock tool post is about ~1Kg, my QCTP Post is about ~3Kg and the compound now seems the 'least ridgid' link in the chain, thus the question, keep the compound?

I admit my search abilities are not too good, (I seem to get how to make QCTP's from scratch, not mounting after market QCTP's.)and hopefully someone has a pointer to a thread(s)? Pro's\Con's?

Thanks for the help.
Chazz

What kind of lathe? I would not modify the compound unless you must. It almost sounds like the QCTP you bought may be too big for that lathe. Pics?

Sorry, me at work, lathe at home. Will post pic this evening. The Lathe is a Craftex (Canadian) 9 x 20, the same as the Grizzley 4000. The advert (KBC Tools pg.486) said the 'series 100' QCTP was for Lathes up to 12" swing and it was the smallest one.

Cheers,
Chazz

Back