Power Hacksaw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintin

Reaction score
Hi
I have for many years found hacksawing tiring and frustrating with some jobs coming up where I will have a lot of cutting up box section. I have decided to build a compact powered hacksaw that will fit on my bench top, equally I don’t intend to spend a lot of cash on it either so its being built out of whatever I have on hand.

The inspiration for the design comes from a You Tube video on a 3D printed power
So I have drafted out a model (images attached) which I am going to attempt with the material I have.

The whole saw 360mm long, 220mm wide and 180mm tall.
The vice has a capacity of 120mm should cope with sections 60mm thick.
The stroke has been sacrificed for compactness and is 60mm running at 60 strokes per minute.
The saw motor and cabinet is hinged at the rear and its own weight applies a load to the cut.

The basic design uses a 12Volt 2.2Amp motor.
The motor speed is reduced through a gear train which I intend to try 3D printed gears.
The saw is fabricated using rod which is held and guided by rollers on a fixed rail.

The colours in the model are not accidental:-
Blues are steel sheet or tube construction,
Orange are Aluminium stock,
Yellow are cast Aluminium
Gold 3D printed parts
Magenta bought or turned parts.

First up the gear train.

CAD Snap Shots.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tintin
Interesting concept for a "Mini Hacksaw".

You will need to be patient as the performance will be very slow at that rate of cut
with the blade traveling at 3.6 metres a minute and only cutting on half of that.

As self confessed power hacksaw nut from early days perhaps I can offer some help.

Bi Metal Hand Hacksaw blades will perform well in a power hacksaw mounted in a sturdy frame and properly tensioned and added weight up to 5 kg.

A stroke of 120 mm @ up to 90 strokes per minute adjust weight and speed to suit material
being cut.

Eric

Hi Tintin,
Not wanting to squash your idea but, my dad acquired a homebuilt hacksaw some years ago, he swapped it for some stuff he had at the time. All worked well until the angle gearbox died. I tried to convince him that what he had to spend to replace the gear box would be better put towards a 6x4 bandsaw, he went the gear box way! Fast forward a couple of years & he acquired a bandsaw, the power hacksaw less the expensive gear box now sits in another shed, unlove & unused! My suggestion .... For what it's worth spend the dollars, sheckles, or what ever your local currency & buy a bandsaw if funds allow, you won't regret it!

Cheers Kerrin

I had the same experience. Restored a Mont Wards power hacksaw to like-new, works perfectly. But it still doesn't cut near as well as my 4x6 Jet bandsaw.
Sure looks good though!

Eric
Sorry for not respoding earlier, I've been away.
Thanks for the info regarding speed and stroke, I shall have a rethink of the stroke system.
But I don't think it would stop me building the reduction gear box.

Ady

Latest posts

Back