Pouring Iron - the movie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
I was rooting about over on RCM (what we old-timers refer to as the "dark side" of unmoderated fora) and came across a gem buried in the political sheisse that forms the structure of RCM.

For you folks who enjoy messing around with hot metal, here's a video of some people casting iron.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3M85ViM3GM[/ame]

For you novices to casting, please note carefully all the safety gear these people are wearing and the loooong handles welded to the crucible. (Although it does appear to me that one guy is wearing tennis shoes.) You should definitely follow their fashion guidelines when you try it.

A follow-up post explained a bit more so I've replicated it below without permission. (I'd count it as an unintended blessing if I were banned from RCM.)

This was in San Antonio at a local art location named "Sculptors Dominion".

It was actually my second time assisting with a pour. The women shown is
an art instructor and the real expert. If you noticed after the
first pour we did not have the sequence perfect as we poured the excess
back in the furnace before plugging the pour hole. The video was taken by
some bystander. I did not have any part in the editing.

We used resin bonded sand molds and spent considerable amount of time
getting the molds created. The open top one is going to be a lathe
faceplate. I have started the maching on it and it looks like its going to be pretty
nice.

For the raw material I used mainly brake drums and rotors and the result
looks good so far. Perhaps someday I need to prepare an article on
"building machine tools from scrap auto parts".

very nice little movie marv 8) ...........i have poured aluminum and know how hot that is but pouring iron would be a whole new experience :eek:

chuck

With my Luck the local fire department would show up in the middle of a pour and try to soak every thing in water, then blame me for the explosion.
Regards,
Gerald

So that's a regular coal furnace? Just that easy to get it hot enough for cast iron?

BillH said:
So that's a regular coal furnace? Just that easy to get it hot enough for cast iron?

It shouldnt be a regular furnace, as cast iron requires a higher grade of refractory cement lining than most foundrys.

Ive done a bit of casting and if anyones interested I can show you all how its done over here.

I got into casting some 25 years ago to make certain items we couldnt get our hands on in Aus....

Let me know and Ill fire the old girl up and do a demo for the camera.

Cheers

Rob

Artie said:
Let me know and Ill fire the old girl up and do a demo for the camera.

Well, I'm not going to pass up THAT offer! ;D I always enjoy watching foundry work. One day I'll actually do more than lead and pewter myself.

Latest posts

Back