Posts deleted??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black85vette

Reaction score
I just went to answer a post an it was gone. Checked my current topic and it had two of my posts and posts from two other members missing. Saw a topic started by Chuck and now it is gone.

Looking at the recent post list there is a gap of about 12 hours?

Something going on besides the server?

Here is a post by Trout that I still had in my cache;

Re: Another Webster
« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:02:48 AM »
I love that flywheel! Old train sets can be a good source for engine parts it appears. I see some yard sale visits coming up.

It's time for me to explore making gears for future builds when I'm taking a break from my current build. I'll start by a Google search on "hob" since I don't have a clue what that is.

-T

This post is missing and my reply to him is missing. Also noticed an edit I made to a previous post is gone.

Not sure if any of this helps or you already know about it.

We are probably going to had a few bumps for awhile with the new server.

Rick

I was afraid something like this might happen, that’s why we needed everyone locked out for as long as we did.

For a period of time today we actually had two copies of the web site up and running on two different machines. Everything on the internet requires an address, IP address, so that others can locate them. But strings of numbers are hard to remember so something called DNS was devised to convert words/names to these addresses, for example www.homemodelenginemachinist.com gets translated to 69.73.140.131.

There are a large number of computers whose sole job is to translate web site names into IP addresses. When we changed from one computer to another, the address for HMEM also changed. This change had to cascade all around the world, but not everyone got the change at the same time. It happened in some places earlier than others. As a consequence some posts were made to one computer while someone else posted to another computer, simply because their addresses were not synchronized.

It’s also quite possible that someone would read a thread on the old server and end up posting a reply to the new server simply because of the timing of the DNS update.

Make sense? This should only cause brief confusion. Unfortunately, lost posts are lost. I’m terribly sorry about that. We really did try to keep that to a minimum. The safe thing to do would have been to keep everyone locked out for about 36 hours.

If your post was lost, please re-post it, and accept our apologies. Although it is a minor inconvenience, in the long run this move might work out for us.

Vette, I noticed the same thing and it was mainly things i posted yesterday morning that seemed to get caught up in it. Ksouers explanation makes sense though and I can easily repost what I recall that is missing. Funny thing though I checked the project of the month thread this morning and apparently my vote from yesterday morning didn't carry over to the new server so it let me vote again.

Thanks to all the mods for making the transition as smooth as possible...hopefully not too much was lost in the porcess. Response time is DEFINITELY quicker!!

Bill

I also had 2 posts missing yesterday. I re posted today and all is fine. ironman

Back