Poppin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcheslop

Reaction score
Hi re written the start of this project as the original was rather curt.Ive been looking for some low budget builds for a while when i came across a Poppin build that had the engine mounted on a wheeled bogey unfortunately I cannot find the thread but would like to thank the original builder.The build so far seems to have gone well with only one slight err .On Poppins original drawings there is no locating spigots for the cylinder head or barrel to stands as my preference is to use some form of location I have increased the barrel by 7/32 at the frame end and added an extra 1/32 at the cylinder head end hope this makes sense. The barrel was machined between centres as the piece of cast iron was tight to size so was bored out then reamed mistake number 1 the boring tool was giving a far better finish than the reamer has but it should lap OK.Sorry the pics are attached as I am having difficulty inserting them .Think it was this and nicotine withdrawal gave up smoking ten weeks three days 12 hours ago not that I'm counting making me grouchy.The pics just to show the cylinder being machined I also set a clock on the saddle just to in case i over shot on the lead screw hand wheel and yes I did but at least the clock was available to put me right
regards Frazer

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Frazer,

I saw this the other day and couldn't understand why nobody had replied ... strange how some posts get replies, some don't.

Nice work and glad to see you have finished, just need to get mine done now!

Nick

Good looking cylinder. Have you decided what you are going to use for piston material? I used cast iron so it would be the same as the cylinder but if I build another I would like to try graphite so I wouldn't need the oiler while it is running.
Good luck with the rest of your build!

MikeR C

Back