Poppin Hoglet Display

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started work on the gas tank today. I am using .030 thick brass I stole from my backdoor. (kickplate)

As you can see I have a highly sophisticated set of sheetmetal working tools, including 2, count them, two ball peen hammers, and some other hammer with a flat end. I am using a peice of oak covered mdf and a rubber floor mat to "beat the brass" on.

I am going with a Heat, Beat, Repeat method. By heating the brass and then letting it cool down, or sometimes beat it hot, I hope to anneal it and make it easier to work.

dont forget the stylish earmuffs.
29.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

fine electricle solder was used to put the three peices together.
31.jpg

here it is on the bike. (pre sanding and polishing)
32.jpg

since I dont currently have an english wheel, I used a belt sander to take down the high spots, and then a buffing wheel to see my progress.

I am pretty happy with the result, however, the possibility of it falling to peices is a possibility, considering there will two open flames underneath a soldered gas tank.
33.jpg

34.jpg

Well its got personality to say the least, the two halves are not quite the same, and a few dents gives it that "vintage" look.

if you notice, my hands are not bleeding, there was a few close calls though, that hammer is coming down pretty fast, one slight mistake, and youll end up with a nicely peened fingernail.

thats it for know. I still have to find a way to mount it, I plan on leaving it hollow, so well see how it works.

Kel

Kel, to be able to produce a tank like that with strictly hand skills has got to give you a different satisfaction that you just can't get from using machines.
Not an awful lot of those skills left. My hat's off to you! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yeah what putputman said.
I've always thought of sheetmetal forming as a skillset in its own class. Very impressive to me.

Well done Kel, Well done. Thm: Thm: Thm: Thm:

Ron

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your kind words. This forum has really been a motivation and inspiration to try new things. This is something I never though I would do.

So my thanks goes to everyone on this forum.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Kel

Kel,

Are you sure that this is the first time you have worked sheet metal like this.

Perhaps, in a previous life, you made armour for King Arthurs Knights.

Looks great.

SAM

SAM in LA said:
Perhaps, in a previous life, you made armour for King Arthur's Knights.

SAM

Funny, While I was doing it I felt like I was in the 15Th century, beating the steel like a medevil blacksmith.

I got the front fender started today, not sure how I like it yet, but well see.

I used a small peening hammer as an anvil and beat it with the flat end of another hammer.
35.jpg

The rear fender is turing out to be a bit of a challenge, I got the radious toi large, and am having a tough time getting it where I want.

My arms are getting a little pooped, this is a very time consuming process. Ill pick it up tomorrow.

Kel

Everything is looking good,

First time around it takes quite a bit of guessing to see how much the radius will collapse with the shaping of the "corners"

You obviously already have seen that.

A nice break from battling thou's I think.

the tank and front fender look sweet.

Keep at it!

I've just had a thought, if you refine it a bit, you could get it to "ride" along! And I also think you're doing quite a job of it! To me, it's turning out to look like something a "bikie" would ride. Not criticizing you or anything, just like how it's turning out! :bow:

It may not look like much, but these little tabs were a real bugger to get on.

37.jpg

I used a aluminum homemade hand vice as a heat sink to stop the heat from getting to the soldered joint.
36-1.jpg

Thats it for know.

kel

Back