Plans for Avery Undermount Traction Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falk_1

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether there are plans of a scale model of an Avery Undermount Traction Engine? Somebody who has built a model of that machine perhaps?

I know where ther is one you may be able to measure. I have only seen the one model which was in the UK so assume this is the engine he measured.

HPIM1063_zps50feaa44.jpg

Pretty slick look to that engine - kinda half traction/half loco with the engine underslung.

Shipping a 25 kilo model from the usa to the Netherlands would be quite expensive shipping a multy ton full size traction engine from the UK to the Netherlands better own your own shipping company.
Tin

Having let the brain have a rest overnight this morning I easily tracked down a photo of the model that I had seen. This is a scale model in the region of 1/4 scale or 3" as we tend to say here rather than the one in Tins linkl which look to be a nicely done general representation, may even have been a commercal one.

CIMG3987.jpg

If you click on the link and look at the large format photo there s a log of detail. You can also see the big fat "S" on the steam chest cover indicating the engine used to build this is a Stuart.

Jason the model you post does have a lot more real fel. but would love to have either in my collection . but I try to stay a builder.
Tin

Thank you for your replies. Is this picture taken on a model engineering show or an auction? The orange chassis in front is of a 2"scale Clayton Undertype Steam Wagon if I'm right. Made that one in the past. I'm not thinking of buying a model and certainly not a full size machine. What I'm looking for is plans. I'm under way of designing a model 1/8 size (1,5" as you say I think) from photos of the restoration project at the WMST (Rollag). What's missing is details of the valve motion at this moment. The model shown must have been built from plans I suppose. Attached the first outlines of the design, still with a lot of assumptions. Hope to be able to gather the missing information.

CIMG3987.jpg
[/QUOTE]

View attachment Avery Assembly.pdf

As near as i can tell the engine the model I showed is a Stuart 10H or possibly an 8. basic cup valve double action as is shown below.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbRjfKWEIDk[/ame]

If I knew of a source for plans I would tell you.

Tin

As near as i can tell the engine the model I showed is a Stuart 10H or possibly an 8. basic cup valve double action as is shown below.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbRjfKWEIDk[/ame]

If I knew of a source for plans I would tell you.

Tin

The model that I linked to was at the Midlands Model Exhibition (UK) in 2010.

As I said in my first reply there are no commercial plans available that I know of. I suspect the builder had access to a full size engine which may well be the one I have linked to and took his own measurements. It is possible that original works drawings are available, thats certainly the case with several makers and the drawings are held in the archive of varius museums or universities.

There was also a photo of what I think is the same model in an old Model Engineer magazine and it was by Guy Ellerby of St Albans ME Society, you may want to try contacting them to see if they will put you in touch with the builder.

http://stalbansmes.com/gallery E1-11.htm

I have acouple more photos that I took earlier this year will post this evening

Thank you for your information about the model on the photo. I did sent a message to the secretary of St Albans MES, asking whether he can provide more information.
Looking forward to see more photos taken of that exhibition.
Regards,
Falk_1

Its more of the full size that I have. Looking at them it seems both cylinders share the same eccentric which is positioned between the two crankshaft throws and the movement goes to a low mounted cross bar with arms on each end to move the valve rods. I suspect you want to see the eccentrics which are quite well hidden.

Also check your messages.

HPIM1064.jpg

HPIM1065.jpg

Latest posts

Back