Pics of how I did the Siamese Twin crank

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
I was going to try to machine this crank but after reading the all the posts on soldering I figured I would give it a try. I picked up a small chunk of 1" brass about 5 years ago that I knew would come in handy some day.

First thing to do was to get the 3 holes drilled then reamed.

PB190127.jpg

I drilled deep enough so that I could part off 3 pieces for the crank webs.
PB190128.jpg

Everything fit together real nice. I also camfered all the holes to prep for soldering.
PB200130-1.jpg

Here I am soldering all the pieces together. The bottom of this is what was left over after cutting the three pieces I needed. I made sure I drilled far enough so that I could use this to hold everything for soldering.
PB200132.jpg

I think it came out pretty good. I haven't put a dial indicator on it yet but if it has any run out it sure isn't much. I gotta thank Rake for having such a fine informative friendly board. Without the tips I picked up here last night I don't think I would have tried this.
PB200135.jpg

Bob,

You've hit the nail on the head, informative and friendly. I think we all need to thank Rick for his insight into starting this site, and it is getting better by the day.

Well done on your foray into making a built up crank.

Everything seems a lot easier if you are given the information first, rather than having to do everything by trial and error.

John

Latest posts

Back