Pic sizes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1MACH

Reaction score
Why cant I upload my pics? I have to take new pics with my camera on the lowest pixel setting I have and these just barley fit sometimes, The last pics I took 3 pics of each part and every pic had a different meg size. This is getting to be a pain because I cant post any pics. All my pics in my albums that I want to share I cant. please help.

Set your camera to take pictures at maximum resolution just in case you get that one-in-a-million shot and want to blow it up to wallpaper size.

There are numerous free tools on the web to resize pictures. At Bogstandard's suggestion, I now use FastStone, available from:

http://www.faststone.org/

In addition to resizing, it can do bulk relabeling as well as adding watermarks to pictures.

Resize your pictures to 800 x 600 or 640 x 480 before uploading to Photobucket or your choice of online storage suppliers.

I find that "Export" ing my pictures to the Desktop as JPEG smallest size works to get my pics onto this forum. That's Apple OS of course.

I only ever just use MS Photoeditor - usually by the time I crop off the unwanted section of the pic there is no need to resize, but the option is there.

Not sure why folks have trouble as I'm sure most if not all operating systems can resize JPEGS? Personally I shoot RAW on a DSLR and resize in Adobe LightRoom but that's just because I enjoy doing it that way. Depending on forum I choose 800 or 1000 PX wide and try to get it around 300Kb. As Marv says, always have your camera set to max image quality - you never know when you might take a picture that could earn you a few bucks!

I've got a camera dedicated to quick & dirty web forum pictures which is set to 640 x 480. No need to screw around with re-sizing things.

Over the years, I get asked regularly about best picture size, number of pixels, best DPI and so forth. The thing is, it doesn't have to be a mystery and once you understand some fundamental concepts, figuring out how best to size a picture or what format to put it in becomes fairly simple. The hard part is taking thirty minutes to an hour and doing some reading on the topic.

I've recommended this website for a very long time to people who seem genuinely interested in gaining an understanding of the technology. www.scantips.com

It is written for the layman and written very well. It is not just about scanning, it is about anything to do with images, camera, video or otherwise.

That said, almost no one I recommend this site to ever goes there and does a little reading. They would rather scratch their heads, take their best guess or call me on the phone and ask. I've stopped asking them if they visited the site before they called. The folks on this forum however, strike me as people who have a desire to learn, or else they wouldn't be hanging around here. Give it a try, you'll learn something, even if you think you know it all already. :)

Thankee Dennis - looks interesting, got it bookmarked for further perusal after I come back from being shackled to the plough!

In photobucket, you can set it to automatically re-size your picture when you upload it.

IronHorse

You don't mention what operating system you have on your computer.

If it is a Windows system, you can resize pics with "Paint"
Right click on the picture go to "Open With" then select "Paint"

One of the options in that program is "Resize"
Click that option, then set it to "Resize" "By:" "Pixels"
Make the width horizontal 500 pixels and save changes.

It may sound pretty labor intensive but it's free!
After you do it a few times it's an easy adjustment to photo sizing.

Rick

Even easier on a Mac. Double click on a Jpeg and by default it's opened by Preview, click on "Adjust Size" under the "Tools" menu then just enter the size you want ...

Google has a free app called Picasa that is an excellent photo editor. You can download it from the Google main site. It has some good editing features like crop and sharpen.

Back