Philip Duclos Gearless Hit'n Miss Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looper7

Reaction score
In 1994 i started this engine got 75% done then change jobs and I didn't have all the fancy equipment to work with. I now have access to the equipment and I'm going to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

Well it looks like my pushrod is getting stuck I made the pillar shelf slot to .005 to big. And with the spring pulling to one side it gets stuck. Going to try 2 Springs 1 on each side.
[ame]http://youtu.be/cbrqZZrG2j8[/ame]

It's working with the 2 springs. Now on to the cam for the flame.[ame]http://youtu.be/R7o8ksixNlg[/ame]

Going to use Jan Ridders 1.5 volt spark. Was not Smart enough to make it work with the reed magnet switch. Burned up 2 5 amp switches so I'm going with the 15 amp big ugly

I machine the cam with .250 The same as the travel of the 15 amp switch then I thought it was way too much so I filed it down to .156 this being my first engine
I don't know if this is right but it looks good to me

This is where I deviate from the print I have The flywheel on the opposite side so that One can see the magic.
I chose this engine at the beginning of my machining Occupation Because making gears scared me. 20 years later I still haven't machined a gear hope to change that in the future.

Using the governor balls from Philip Duclos Victorian engine before soldering I use white out a trick learned from Brian Rupnow. I should've clamped it in place with something that ball sure is hot.

I would like to thank the community for all the information that I've been able to glean from this site and for the inspiring photos

I'm getting excited will have a running engine soon. next I'm going to work on the arm of the governor.

Looks like I might have a paperweight
I lapped the valves with 1000 grit paste. Set the timing. Tried with the carburetor. Then went to the vapor Tank. Get some pops with the drill. I think it's the spark but I don't know.

[ame]http://youtu.be/Pp39hdNUy5E[/ame]

Jeff Hickenlooper

Thanks Brian. I enjoyed watching your opposed engine

I have the spark working. I got some 6kv27p capacitors (blue M&Ms) on eBay. They make the Spark Hotter. And I increase my spark gap. Now I have to overcome friction and rework the flywheel aluminum is not as heavy as steel obviously. I am confident I will get it running unfortunately I'm going to have to put it on the shelf for little while.

Jeff Hickenlooper

For now I have bonded some shim stock in the slot to take up some of the gap. Going to have to make a new one it looks pretty bad. When I was taking apart I noticed lots rust in the cylinder and I have some quite a few scratches. Will make a note to put oil in the spark plug hole when I put it to bed

Jeff

Started working on the fly wheel I ended up taking it out of the mill and drilling the holes in the drillpress because my mill Will not running in rapid therefore the pick cycle would not work.

Jeff

60 inches of brass equals 2 lbs. 5 oz. trying to take some pictures out shop the lighting's not that great

Jeff

Pressing them in with the drillpress then moving over to the vice and cranking them home

Jeff

Latest posts

Back